Monday, January 16, 2017

''She's a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis.''

You didn't think I can start this post without complaining about snow did you? Where the hell is it coming from? The sky. Yes I know that but seriously, enough is enough. I already spent Saturday dealing with too much water where there shouldn't be any and how difficult or better yet impossible it is to get a plumber to fix the issue on a weekend in this country. And the one that could fix the problem will rip you off so bad it's not even worth it. Is integrity completly dead? It's what I always say if you want something done, you have to do it yourself...people are the worst. Not all though, but most.
It's not just that one has to do stuff on their own to have them done right, it's that at the end of the day it's always you. You have to make sure that you are okay. You have to decide when to keep going and when it's time to stand down. Not give up but take a different path because the one you're on right now isn't good for you. You are the one that has to keep holding on and keep pushing through, the world out there is a rough place I know that much but I know you can do whatever the hell you want because look at how far you've come. Give yourself some credit. Even if it's a small thing, like getting through a load of laundry, shit man these new washing machines are difficult. Trust me I know, I've been fighting with our new one more then I'd wish to admit. It's not lame if you pat yourself on the back for choosing a salad over a steak or an apple over cake, good job. It's a small victory and tust me when I tell you this self care is important.
I thought about this this morning when I had a moment, a small victory myself. I came across this quote someone I miss more then anything else on this planet wrote on a red piece of paper for me once...the near thought of it would make my stomach turn and tears fall and today for the first time I could smile and appreciate the beauty of the quote.
“I didn't want to kiss you goodbye, that was the trouble, I wanted to kiss you good night and there's a lot of difference.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Beautiful isn't it? Like the one from A farewell to arms “And you'll always love me won't you? - Yes - And the rain won't make any difference? - No - ”. Amazing writer that one...but I'm here to talk about another amazing writer today...
I've always loved the King. He's the King of rock and roll after all. One of the most celebrated and influential musicians of the 20th century. I even like his cheesy silly movies. Specially on those sleepless nights and long rainy, snowy days...I just recently got a few of his records. A box set with 50 of his biggest hits. It is beyond amazing, complete with a booklet of some of his really beautiful pictures. He was a really beautiful man after all. There's a version of him singing ''Heartbreak hotel'' on youtube that is really making it hard for me to breathe normally.
Anyways the album...I've heard a lot about it, some people saying that this album is just a new way for the market to make money of Elvis, how this is just slightly remixed to achieve a different sound. I've heard people saying this album is only interesting if you're a huge fan and want to have all the unusual releases by Elvis. Honestly though, generally I agree, it does sound a little phony and fixing up old songs to make them sound slightly different for a new release seems rather hypocritical to me. But that aside, I actually really enjoy this album, the songs are fun, the cover art is absolutely beautiful especially the picture in the back, unusual release or not I like it. Wasn't he just amazing though? A poor country boy from Mississippi who took the elements of blues, rockabilly, country, gospel and created something new and exciting, a unique sound that in my opinion will never be outdated. He didn't need the electronic sounds, overdubbing, multi tracking or even some echo you can hear in some parts on this album, maybe that's why this record is so ''hated'', because of the editing. Elvis was an amazing musician he didn't need no shit to make him sound great, just look at his early Sun recordings where there was nothing but his voice and a rhythm to back him up, simple, pure, amazing. Those songs are still ''classics''.
Maybe the whole package that is Elvis; the looks, voice, personality, charisma, the way he moved on stage, the whole presence...maybe that was a god given talent. You know what I find funny? Over twenty years after his death he's still on top of the charts, setting records, and gaining new fans daily. It's amazing. It seems so easy if you look at it today. The RCA records sign this random kid, television gets interested at the same time and boom the rest is history. But it wasn't always like that. I remember reading about the single Heartbreak hotel in some magazine once, when it came out there was no interest in it for about a month, after that it blew up, and his album ''Elvis Presley'' became the first rock n roll album to reach number one in the national charts also the record company's first million dollar earning album.
Now back to the record in question, despite the edit the songs on it are still good, some of my favorite as well. You've got My baby left me, (You're so square) Baby I don't care, Little sister, Don't, Wear my ring around your neck, Paralyzed, Baby let's play house, I was the one, Rip it up, Young and beautiful and Ready Teddy.
I do find it a little strange though that the producers decided to include Little sister since it was originally released as a single in 61' while the other songs on the album are all 50's material. But well their choice. Point is I'd recomend you listen to the 50 greatest hits because all the best stuff is on there even though some songs that were never hits or big times are still great songs.
In that spirit here's a picture of me daydreaming that what the billboard says was real ''Elvis kissed me''.
Now before I log off and get some fresh air there is something not related to music I'd like to share. Or lets say dedicate this last part of this post to someone. He's been complaining that he likes to read my blog but is really annoyed by all the ''feministic crap''. Listen here sugar, a newsflash for you, I am in fact a female so go figure feminism is actually important to me. You saying it's crap proves even more why it's important. But for the sake of my sanity I will not argue, all I'll do is share a quote...
''I think women are foolish to pretend they are equal to men. They are far superior and always have been. Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be prepared to receive a ton of shit.''
- William Golding
Enjoy ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment