Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Is it all just wasted time?

I was looking for a specific post on Instagram just now, it's a very old picture, which meant scrolling all the way down, possibly to the end of the gallery. Not sure, never made it there. It felt like…browsing through crumbled cities when a civilisation had fallen. I know I'm being dramatic but really…All the life. All the good times. All the things I (we) used to have and take for granted. The little things that seemed so unimportant at times, the big things we loved and cherished. I just don't understand how we could let this collective insanity take it all away. Strip us down to just…''existing''. No longer living just wasting time, wasting space, waiting. I for sure can't even remember what feeling alive really feels like. I'm breathing so I must be right? But this constant feeling of numbness of anxiety of feeling unsettled…I don't know. Emotions too hard to place I suppose.

Do you guys know that line in that song by the Bad Wolves '''Cause baby we don't work no more, and I don't wanna hurt no more''? I love that song. Painfully beautiful and I know it's supposed to be romantic. Or dead romance kinda song. Broken hearted and all that. Trust me, I know, I've been there once too many times but lately I feel like it can be applied to life in general. I really feel like this isn't working anymore and I don't want to hurt no more.  How do you go on from this point, how do you ''exhume'' the world? I'm out of ideas. And out of courage. And desire. And will. And emotions. I am just…

Sigh. How about a few words on one of my favourite bands (Skid Row – super underrated band) instead? I did a review of the album in the past, short and not nearly as thought through as the reviews are these days but feel free to look it up if you want. So no album review but a few words on my favourite song on this record. It's not the album titled song, nor ''Monkey business''. I actually love ''Psycho love'' and ''In a darkened room'' but my absolute favourite hands down is ''Wasted time''. It's been overplayed and raping my neighbors ears (sorry, not sorry guys), but not on vinyl tho, my copy is an unplayed, still factory sealed (well kinda, it's cut on the side) and I can't bring myself into playing it, though I know it must sound amazing. I literally, no joke, saw one for sale the other day for 1000 euros. Holy Cannoli that's a nice chunk of money. 

Anyways, I'll go as far as saying that Wasted time is Skid Row's best song. Literally. It is essentially  a power ballad sure but it is completely different as say ''I remember you'', it's much darker which makes sense since it talks about the stuggles and damages of addiction. Did you know though that Sebastian wrote this song for / about Steven Adler? Steve had a really bad heroin addiction that affected his preformance which essentially got him fired from Guns N' Roses and he actually struggled with it for most of his life. He's doing great now though, clean and sober and if I had like 50 cents for every time I bitch and complain how he HAS to come back to GN'R, I'd have enough money to pay for a private GN'R gig. Just saying. 

Y'all seen the music video right? It's obvious from there that it's about drugs, but video aside, if you listen to the lyrics; ''you said you'd never let me down, but the horse stampedes and rages'', horse is a popular name for heroin. As well as white nurse, black eagle, brown sugar…I don't love the thematics don't get me wrong, it literally physically hurts me thinking of everything Adler went through but I love how the song is created, music absolutelly brilliant and the lyrics that start with something lighter like cannabis and then moves slowly onto harder drugs like extasy and cocaine and then it ends with heroin. Just like an addict would. Starts with something innocent till things start never being enough and it gets out of control. The song ends with this gently sung line ''I thought you'd never let it get this far''. Brilliant. I mean I read Sebastian's book…I am honestly amazed how some of these boys are still alive and immensely grateful that they are. 

The preformance alone is one of Sebastians best preformances ever. He is an incredible vocalist and here his entire range and talent shines through. And kicking him out of the band was the dumbest thing the band did. Speaking of dumb….Dave Sabo…sigh. He literally co wrote Wasted time and hated it! Wtf? He called the song ''the biggest piece of shit we ever recorded''. And I still for the life of me don't get it. Was he high, drunk or stupid or all of the above? Is it a musicians disease to hate the better songs and like the dumb ones? Just wondering because he's not the first one *cough Richie Sambora – Living on a prayer cough* and surely not the last. 

Another quick cute story then I'll stop rambling and decide which book review you're getting on Friday. I've actually been getting through my huge ''to be read'' stacks and read a couple books.

So Wasted time was released also on a 7' and 12' single, side B containing ''Get the fuck out'' which was recorded live at Wembley. Can we pause here for a moment? While I salivate over shows I never saw because I wasn't even alive then, Queen at Wembley, GN'R Use your illusion tour…I honestly wish to see a show at Wembley once. Preferably The Stones.  Now this song on the single version contains a long freaking speach by Sebastian that is far more interesting than the song. Apparently the band was handed a letter that specifically forbade them to play ''Get the fuck out''. Lol at the genius writing that letter. What did you think it will happen? Like for real? Did you expect the band to roll over and obey? Come on.

Now I'll write down the speech because I just find it freaking hysterical but of course reading it and listening to it is not the same so go check it out (https://youtu.be/eTtQQs_VRcs).

''Well listen man, I'm gonna do somethin' right now. There's a, a little thing that I feel like it's my duty to tell you this shit here London ok. You know there's a counsel here in your town who tries to tell rock bands what they can and cannot do on stage, did you know that? Now we received a letter here, I thought we were in fuckin' Russia or somethin' man. I'm gonna read this to ya, do you wanna hear it? It says right here, ''You'll be aware that there is a great concern being shown by the counsel that there may be abusive language used during the Skid Row show at Wembley'' it goes on to say here ''we have great concern regarding the preformance of Guns N' Roses and Skid Row and the press reporting of shows in America'' alright. And it says here…wait a minute who the fuck is this counsel anyways, do you people know? This is the best part right here, I really love this part, it says ''the song Get the fuck out cannot be included in the set unless the words are ALTERED, motherfucker'' now, and it says here, hang on, it says here that they're gonna stop the show because they don't like the word ''FUCK'' and you're not allowed to hear it! Now the way I see it, the way I fuckin' see it, is that each one of you people paid a bunch of fuckin' money to see a rock n' roll show is that right?! So we wouldn't want to offend anybody but I just think that it's time to say to these people, Get the fuck out man. What do you wanna say?''

And the crowd started chanting Get the fuck out and the song was preformed in it's original form. Lol. But seriously does anyone know who the fuck is the counsel? The hell is that about? Bunch of old frustrated fucks by the looks of it…either way, I'll go cuddle my vinyl because things sure AF can't get any worse, cheers guys. 



No comments:

Post a Comment