Friday, April 23, 2021

I learned to live half alive, now you want me one more time.

Another Friday you guys. So much shit happened this week that I could sit here and bitch about that alone. How would y'all like that? Maybe that I sit here and babble about the news while I sip Rose? Not even joking something new popped up here ''Wine to go'' Rose in a glass from the store, you just pop the top and drink on the go. Amazing. You know me, Italian wine. Italy. Fuck I miss Italy. And I love wine. But what I meant is, how about a vlog and we go over some interesting news? Yes I know, y'all are just dying for my super smart opinions and views of the world. Hah. Though to be serious I'll start drinking before each outing these days. People. Ugh. I can't take it no more. They're all horrible.

What I find super important which literally happened hours ago is that a new song by Kip Moore came out, it's called ''Good life''. Make sure you go check it out. Far cry from country music. At least that real ''Johnny Cash / Willie Nelson'' type country but I love it, it's different, not what we're used to from him but I love a bit of experimentation. Well I may also be biased. Y'all know I love that boy. And cute story, I can literally buy a signed stage used mike of his but I can't get his last album / deluxe version. Wtf? I'm so fucking pissed. Been really looking forward to it. Oh well ''good'' life aye. 

So instead of a ''smart'' vinyl review which I honestly think nobody really cares about no more here's a short book review. I literally read this book in half a day, it really sucked me in. Which is kinda strange, I'm not usually one for criminal novels. You know me, I like fantasy, and I like romance, but this was a nice change. 


( Jennifer Hillier / Jar of hearts / fiction, criminal, murder, rape )

Quick summary would be that this is a story about three best friends, one was murdered, one went to prison and one was searching for the truth all those years. 

Everything below here will include spoilers so if you don't want to read those, stop right here. 

So what surprised me was that I literally couldn't put this book down. Started reading and then I just had to know how it ends so I spent the entire afternoon completely consumed by it, meaning literally walked to the bathroom holding the book. It really is a riveting book. And it got me thinking. Our choices in life…they really do define us. Yes okay we're not the mistakes we made, hopefully we learned from them too but really, if you do something utterly stupid you gotta suffer the concequences, you gotta pay the price for it. Though I still believe people should be given a second chance. One horrible mistake, one horrible choice, shouldn't mark you as a horrible person for life.

I guess we all kinda got fascinated by murderers at some point, maybe it's just me, in matching onesie with my cat, watching a TV show on Ted Bundy, who lets face it looks like he needs a hug not death penalty. Which I am strongly against btw, not only that punishing a murderer with murder is stupid purely because what does that make you? A murderer right? And also I'm against it because death is easy, it's life that's hard. 

Okay so the book is cut into several parts, it begins with Georgina or Geo for short on trial where she's sentenced to five years in prison for her role in disposing the body of her best friend Angela that went missing 14 years ago. You know the type, Angela type, pretty, cheerleader, popular, loved by everyone. Angela was murdered by Geo's sexy older boyfriend Calvin also known as the ''Sweetbay Strangler''. The heat Geo was getting was for not speaking up sooner because before Calvin was caught two more bodies dropped. I guess yes if she spoke up maybe he'd be caught, but also maybe he wouldn't be. He escaped prison after Geo's trial so who knows what would of happen. 

The whole what if always drives me mad. Always. I keep spinning in circles thinking about my life, what if I was accepted to the school I wanted. What if I never did some stupid shit I did when I was younger. What if I managed to patch up my relationship, where would we be today? What if I was happy? Do I even know what that is? You know what I mean. What and if are just words, but put together have the power to utterly wreck your life. 

The third friend Kaiser (Kai for short, has me on high alert, I love that name so much) is now a cop. Can't decide how I feel about that, you know I love his character but I do not love cops. Lol. If there's any cops reading this, I'm sorry, I'm sure y'all are good people but personal experience says otherwise. But speaking from a point of the story, and the choices we make, whatever happened to Angela happened in highschool when the three were 16. I wonder if that was what made Kaiser go into law enforcement. If certain things happening motivate you, make you wanna do certain things. Would he be a cop if his best friend wasn't missing? Would Geo realise her fiance is no good for her and that her current life isn't really what she should be doing if it wasn't interrupted by jail time? I wonder, is where we are at certain parts of life, exactly where we should be? Even if jail? What if there's some higher purpose. Call it destiny if you will but what if that's exactly what and where we should be no matter how hopeless it feels, because that hoplessness will lead us to something better? 

I gotta say I was fascinated by the character of the Sweetbay Strangler. My family calls me a sociopath each morning when I pour myself a black cup of coffee with no sugar and no milk so maybe that explains it but really I find him fascinating. His general behaviour towards Geo, it's fascinating. Of course the fact that he's a pretty boy pulls you in that much more. You don't expect serial killers to look like top models, you don't expect them to be completely normal, nice, charming. Or maybe you do because that's the best cover up? It's often that serial killers kill women but end up being good husbands and fathers. Isn't that fascinating? 

So just before Geo is released from prison, police discovers two more bodies, one of a child and one of a woman. Another week later, two more bodies are found. And all clues lead to the Sweetbay Strangler. Murders happen in the same way, his way. And while I was lying on my bed muttering ''copy cat'' the entire time under my breath, I will not tell you if I was right or not. Not going to spoil the best part of the book. 

I'd maybe change the ending a bit. Make it more elaborate, it felt a bit rushed. A bit like, the writer has a deadline and instead of giving the story an ending it would deserve you just abruptly end things, some stuff was left…a bit unclear to say the least. That aside, I still liked the idea of the ending, I liked how it ended. You know me I don't do tragic endings so angsty story with a happy end? Perfect. I guess I gave that away now, but the book does in fact have a happy end. Well, depends on who's side you're on.

But that's about it, all I'll tell you on the book I mean, the plot twist in between is too good to give out. Now excuse me while I get another wine to go, and a bag of Nutella cookies (brilliant stuff omfg) and go sit on the sun, such a nice day, finally getting warmer too, and the summer being in me is doing excited flips. Cheers, enjoy the weekend guys. Grab a cold one for me too, lord knows I aint seeing the inside of a bar anytime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment