Monday, April 19, 2021

Are we even still, Alive?

I've been really struggling with writing lately. Writers block. I guess. Or the fact that things I could write about are all too private, too R rated, and some just too painful. Maybe sometimes I find it stupid to write anyways. I'm mostly amusing myself and my few loyal readers (cheers guys I love you) but fact is as much as I want it, I'll never be popular like one of them influencers. I don't want to be tbh, I'm not stupid or naked enough for them but a few more hits, a few more readers, knowing that people care about what I write, knowing I maybe with my opinions and views changed someone elses…that'd be nice. 

I noticed this state or the world really killed my creativity. Drawing. Photography. Writing. Everything is too much trouble. Getting dressed in the morning is a hassle. Nevermind thinking and doing and being creative. Fucking impossible my god. The state of the world is really killing me tbh. Not being able to get away from it all, to just have a moment of peace and quiet is killing me. I can't put it into words what a strong desire to throw my laptop out my fucking window I get when I google a Finnish word and google asks me ''did you mean Coronavirus'' fucking fuck you google, words don't even look alike, and I for sure did not mean coronavirus. It never ends. You can never get away from it and that's all I want. For the world to shut the fuck up. We all have our own opinions, we all have the right to choose and all this bullshit force feeding is slowly but surely driving me crazy. 

Thing is, how do you make sense of all this crap that's happening? How do you make sense of anything really? How do you make sense of life? The world? Love? How do you explain anything? How does anyone? You know Isaac Newton thought that the world works like the gears in a clock. A well oiled machine. I guess that could give you some comfort, a sense of order, a sense of predictabilty, but that idea has been shot down by physics of the modern world, so we're back to square one. The universe is a strange strange place and we're nothing but insignificant moments that pass by faster than you can imagine. Sometimes everything seems pretty pointless to be honest. 

So while I pour myself a cold one (got a box full of it free from our local brewery – cheers guys I love you) and put on some music…here's a couple words on this album that's playing right now. I promise to hold back on the ''cute cupcake'' comments this time. We all know he's cute and I've been staring at him on my laptop wallpaper all day for months so, moving on. 




Would it be weird to get his signature tattooed though? Asking for a friend. Lol. 

You can check out Davids views on the current state of the world on picture four, it's at the begining of the CD booklet. While he put things into words very nicely it really annoys me because it brings us to the point of the issue. Everything revolves around THAT. You can't get away. You can't live in your own ''bubble''. ''I can't wait to see you all again''. Yes David, me too. Seeing you, seeing everyone I love again, but as you said there's no end in sight. Bless you if you can keep on holding to hope but seems to me that my hope has been long gone. 

But you're right about one thing, this album sure did take my mind off my worries for a little while and took me to a happier place. Well, places. Happier times. Concert life. Travel life. Living life. Feeling ALIVE. Shame the momentum was gone as soon as the CD ended. 

Songs on this album are as following; 

1. Stayin Alive

2. What a wonderful world

3. Happy

4. Paint it black

5. Beauty and the beast

6. Hit the road Jack

7. Dance of the Knights

8. Shallow

9. Enter Sandman

10. Circle of life

11. Thriller

12. Confutatis

13. Let it go

14. Bella Ciao

15. The 7th Allegretto

16. Game Rhapsody

First thing that stands out to me is that there are three songs from Disney movies. Okay, I know I said I won't go there with the cutey and so on but just one quick comment because it's melting my heart thinking about watching Disney movies with him. ''Netflix and chill'' kinda thing you know. Yeah that'd be nice. But moving on because really I feel like my point isn't getting across. I am not a fan because I think he's drop dead gorgeous, I am a fan because he is mad talented. It seems insane if you look at me the ''gothic Barbie'' as a friend calls me…but I have several CDs from all kinds of classical composers, with Bach being one of my faves (actual Johann Sebastian Bach not the pretty Bach you see at the side here). I actually started listening to Davids classical works first before going into rock crossovers which tbh were a gift from god himself for me. It's like two of your favourite pop punk bands going on tour together (All time low and Neck deep omg! One of my fave concerts ever. Fuck I miss concerts so much.), or finding a perfect outfit and then hearing it comes in black too. Or when they make a movie based on a book you like and it doesn't actually suck. Magic. 

You know that the New York Times calls him ''a wizard on the strings''? yup. So this ''Alive'' album is actually called ''Alive, My soundtrack'', first thing I noticed is that it came out on October 9th, a day after my birthday. Idk just find that nice for some reason. It makes no difference I just thought it's a cute coincident. Like my first and only concert of his I saw was also almost my birthday, October 12th. I didn't really check out on his website what he says about this album. I tend to avoid his website out of two reasons. One being the same as any other musicians website right now, the ''cancelled'' and the ''postponed'' messages make me sick to my stomach. And the other is, well have you seen the official site? His brilliant photographers and their work plastered all over is giving me serious heart palpitations, brain fog and hot flashes like I'm experiencing menopause.  No joke. The man is sexy okay. 

What I do know is that the album was recorded literally during the first lockdown and second and third, ah who's keeping track by now…and it must be a surreal experience. I mean you usually set a time, okay, here's a year, we're going to do this in this year, sometimes in between touring, we all know dates tend to get pushed back but normally that's how it goes. But here you are now, recording in a completely new world really. Completely different conditions and basically no real time limit. How do you even go about it? With so many songs in the world, so much music you love? Where do you start? I can't decide between my couple hundred albums what to listen to, never mind if I was picking a track list (almost wrote set list – I swear I'm going crazy) with only the best rock and pop rock songs. 

I know they recorded twice as many songs as there are on the CD…so, David, you know ''Use your Illusion'' has I and II? I mean I'm just asking…

Considering the foreword above and of course the title, it's pretty obvious that this album is very personal. Maybe the most personal of all of his records which there have been plenty of so far. It makes me wonder though, what do these songs mean to him. What memories they take him back to. I know what I feel, what I see, what makes me smile when a certain song comes on, but I can't help the curiosity, what memories do they bring up for him. It's one of those things I'd love to do, sit down and chat with such a brilliant musical mind to see what inspires them, what makes them who they are, where gives them the drive and the passion for their work. Why these songs. Why this type of music. Why…anything and everything really. One artist to another, though I barely consider myself an artist. Even less so lately. Inspiration and passion comes and goes I get it, but I have never felt like this before. 

David said in an interview; ''My heart beats for all the songs on this album, because I have an intense connection with every single one of them. To put it simply, I carry a little piece of all of them in my heart.''. That is what I'm curious about. What makes these songs so special. Especially Frozen's Let it go, though surprisingly I don't even have a problem imagining David as Elsa. Hah. 

I think the start of the album ''Stayin' alive'' is pretty damn genius. Why? Because what were we trying to do this pass year? Staying alive. Not because of a virus but because of going absolutely and utterly crazy. Though I think we could discuss how ''alive'' we really are at this point. I don't know about you guys but I feel rather zombie like lately. Going through the motions but not really living. Barely even breathing. I don't know. 

I'm going to go on a wild guess and say that ''What a wonderful world'' is on the album for the same reason I like it. It's such an emotional and beautiful song. The times it was written in were tough like times are now but still the song has this allure of hope. It feels hopeful and as a piece itself it's timless like Coco Chanels little black dress. And I'm going to take another wild guess that he listens to ''Enter sandman'' on a morning jog (if he does jogging) because that's what I'm blaring when angrily punching and kicking my boxing bag (or sparring partner) trying to get all the frustrations out through my martial arts training. I guess that's about as much as I can guess on the ''personal meaning''. 

Point here, this is another amazing album, you can see the love, the talent and passion he put into it. You can see the raw gift this man has, the crossover songs are constructed so beautifully. Every note is on point. Every note is just right. Nothing is out of place, nothing is left to chance. The album is a beautiful trip from start to finish and it makes you forget the world for a quick second. So there you go, here's a drawing I've been working on; 

I can never get him right. At all. Must be because of his gorgeous face. It's so hard to get his beautiful features just right, golden ratio and all that. Alright, putting this album back to the start, hopefully to give me a few more moments of peace and relaxation. Happy Monday y'all. Hope life is treating you much better than it's currently treating me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment