Friday, April 9, 2021

Happy Birthday my god damn Wild Child.

So. Here we are. Survived another lockdown. Kinda. Two more days if we're lucky, but my money is on two more months tbh. I can't say it was a good week because let's be serious it was anything but, but nothing Jack Daniels can't fix. Kinda. I've been torturing myself with memories, travels, concerts, hell bars even. Scrolling through all old pictures on the phone you realise just how dull your life has become. How much they took from us. And actually, in a funny way I'm laughing out loud because about two years ago my family called me insane for being dressed in a full Winter soldier get up. ''you can't walk around town with a mask covering half your face Nikki'' ha ha ha. Who's laughing now? Well nobody is but I think you got the point.

Glancing through these old pictures I figured I don't really miss anything as much as I miss Vienna. One of my favourite cities and frequent quick getaway / long weekend / concert location. I miss everything about it, I miss the music, the art, the beat of the city, fuck I miss freedom really. I miss the fact that I could walk down the streets of Vienna and feel more at home than I do at home. I've seen all my favourite bands in that city. I've seen exhibitions of some of my favourite artists. Tried some new foods. And spent what I think was the most surreal and romantic weekend there with a rockstar. Straight out of a movie. Yeah life in Vienna is much different, and much better, and I can't put it into words how much I miss it. I'd give anything to reset humanity and live in a normal world once again.

A normal world where the bars are open and you get to pick up a stranger for a night, no regrets just love kinda thing right? Ironically lately there's no love just plenty regrets. I guess one can hope in another life things will be better. In another life we can get back to that hotel room, room service, hot makeout sessions and pretending the world doesn't exist outside our room. A world where we play games that have you begging for more, games where you tease me if I want you I'll beg but you end up begging instead. A world in which you tell me again how you should never let me walk out and in the arms of another man and mean it. A world in which love is enough, and strong enough to handle whatever curve ball life throws at us. But the harsh reality is that you wake up alone, spend the days alone, with a vinyl playing and a bag of Haribo gummi bears trying to fill the void you feel inside. It's not really working but well…you can try. Booze doesn't help. Maybe sugar will.

So yesterday was April 8th. Alexi's birthday. Always thought it's cool we share birthdays in a way. The number 8th. His is April mine is October. I decided to celebrate it with Samantha Fox' ''Touch me'' and a shit ton of JD. Didn't need to extra curse or be extra pissed let's face it I already am everyday. Yesterday was chaotic just as he would of love it. Hyvää syntymäpäivää Alexi, minä rakastan sinua.

''The faint blaze of the candle of my life, slowly dying like a fire in a pouring rain. No sparks of hope inside, no shooting stars on my sky. On broken wings, no flying high.''

So in order to celebrate, a quick write up of the very vinyl spinning right now. Before I even get into the music, which is perfect from the first minute to the last, just look at the perfection that is this release in the first place. One of my favourite records, white, splattered, the ''halo'' of blood in the middle? Everything is absolutely perfect.

 

I aint going to disect this album song by song, that would of been too much. I guess it's too early still. Like it's too early for those magazines. I love the pictures in them so much but I still can't bring myself to actually read them.

I don't really read album reviews tbh, like when they come out, before I get them…I don't know, might be the fact that I really don't like people nor care about their opinions (unless asked) or it might be the fact that I said several times that critiques are assholes. Yes me included. I especially stayed away from any and all CoB reviews. Simple reason, they all started the same way, people bitch and complain about how good they used to be, and how ''boring'', ''down the hill'', ''stagnant'' they are now and a whole god damn discussion on why that is. Can you literally see me roll my eyes all the way into my god damn skull? I mean people are never happy are they? They are not happy when a band changes their sound too much (really, it's called evolving their sound get on with the program) and they're not happy with a band when it stays the same. Whatever you do you really can't please everyone so it's no point in trying at all. I guess I wish people were bitching less. I mean it's pretty easy, if you like something, enjoy it, if you don't move along, if you don't agree, unless asked for opinion move the fuck along.  So many unneeded words, so much negativity. Sigh.

Right so for those never happy always complaining, ''Halo of blood'' will be an improvment. You see changes, it's different than ''Blooddrunk'' and ''Relentless''. I love all of them but I suppose out of the three if I chose favourites, Halo of blood would be it. No doubt though that ''Hatecrew'' and ''Chaos'' are my favourite. Say what you will but that's what it is.

The album is something special because there are ten songs on it and they are completely different from each other and yet they are not even a little bit out of place and fit together perfectly. Straight from the start, song one ''Waste of skin'' hits you in the face , with that insane, super fast, fingers flying on the frets, melodic guitar, in sync with the bass and the keyboards. It's amazing. And just watching them hands flying up and down, shredding those chords is nothing short of completely mesmerising and erotic at the same time.

I give you one thing though, this is the eigth album but really should be the fifth, to me the sound sorta returns to Hatecrew era, it sort of makes a logical follow up. A logical part two if you will. And also it doesn't because the two albums in between were just what I mentioned above, explorations, developing and searching their sound. I guess the songwriting though here is quite a bit different. It's more diverse. More complex. You know what I mean? I love all songs, I love all lyrics. I absolutely adore ''Angels don't kill'', but I don't know there's some sorta new kind of depth here that I register differently. Sometimes I can't even explain what I mean or what's going on in my head.

What really shook me all over was ''Dead man's hand on you''. It was a shock, complete and utter shock. In a good way of course. Starting the song with acoustic guitar and clean vocals? I did not expect that at all. The brooding, dark acoustic sound, the sorta spoken words but then that explosive chorus? Shit it's freakin perfect. Sorta death metal, dark, ballad in a way. For me, one of those exploring the sound, exploring different types of music, and for sure a highlight in their career, producing something different, something just as equally amazing as the fast riffs and scratchy screaming vocals. I feel like this song is literally putting emotions into sounds. So many feelings, both put in the song and felt when listened to. It's just amazing and even if the whole album was just that one song, it would of been perfect.

This album really isn't just a collection of great riffs (which there are so many of on it) but also the addition of the perfect raspy, gritty, icicles and knives kinda vocals. It's also a perfect example of some of the best, innovative and technically perfectly executed writing up to date. It shows perfectly on the song ''One bottle and knee deep''. Pure freakin perfection. What a way to close up an album.

The whole thing is one of those moments, defining moments in music, where they reclaimed their throne in the Finnish melodic death metal scene and I believe that's a place nobody can ever take from them. Not now and not ever. I will always love Finnish music, they have only the best musicians but no matter what they come up with there will always only be one CoB and nothing and nobody can top that. and Halo of blood is a brilliant way to prove that they are the kings, the titans of Finnish melodic metal. They went back to their musical roots, schooled us with the best and most amazing riffs and showed us how vocals, guitars, drumming and keyboards should function together. Nothing short of a completely unique experience and nothing short of 40 minutes of pure power, ferocity, intensity and perfection. To put it shorter, this album is freakin amazing and it's got balls and there is nothing quite as perfect as turning the volume up sky high and screaming along to the songs. Best way to melt off all the frustrations.

Now to close this post and move on and get some shit done today…who am I kidding, we all know I'll just put the record back to start and not move a muscle…listen to me kids, as soon as I get home, throw off my bra, the day is over for me okay? And I don't even care if it's 11 am. Day – over. Now to conclude my endless ramblings, take a look at this beautiful gem on my jackets. Here's a way to keep Allu with me always. If you want one too, go to the etsy store link here (click me).

I miss you Allu, so much, hope you're happy, where ever you are because life down here without you is anything but happy. Happy birthday, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment