Friday, July 13, 2018

Ja nemam noć da spavam

This is one of those posts where I sit back and write about a local event. Or better yet complain about people on local events. Same event as last year. And people as horrible as they were last year. Maybe I'm uptight or missing out on something but I just really don't understand what's the point of going to a concert to get drunk. Unless if you don't really go to a concert but you go to get drunk and the band on stage is just some…distraction?
Have these people ever thought about how rude that is to the bands? Like for real, this is their job, they stand there, they put their hearts into the show and this is how the crowd repays them? So fucking wasted that the next morning when you ask them what they were listening to they have no clue? Confusing. Also don't think I'm uptight, I had like three drinks last night too but I was nowhere near drunk.
Last year the festival hosted a ton of local bands as always and also of course some big names such as Airbourne, Samantha Fox and Ugly kid joe and of course there were tickets. People lost it over the fact that they had to buy tickets (I get it, who buys tickets to go to a ''bar'' and get drunk) so you can imagine how different the situation is this year when it's all free. Deep sigh. Humans. The worst kind of animals there are. I doubt anyone of them ever heard the words ''drink responsible''. Also ladies, girls way younger then me, there is absolutely nothing attractive or cool about being drunk. Really there isn't. You can get attention any other way not by acting like a drunk bimbo. And if not then those you're seeking attention from are not worth it. Also guys, buying me a drink or throwing me a stupid pick up line doesn't mean a free pass into my skinny jeans. Just saying.
The festival started early. And the first band that played were a trio from Italy called Dobermann. Not a band I knew that well before mind you, I heard of them and knew some of the songs but I wasn't that informed, but I was like ''what the hell they're a rock band so why not''. Maybe I should point out that when they came on stage the venue was completly empty there were maybe 10 of us in the front, 2 of us in the first row, the rest all hung by the bars (see what I'm on about?).
I loved them though. They have no record label no booking agency and no management and yet they put out three albums plus an EP and played over 650 shows in the past 7 years. Now if that aint amazing then I don't know what is. They have this rock n' roll sound. A guitar player to die for, a drummer that will melt your teeth and the bass player that sings perfectly and spits fire while doing so. Honey I was sold after the first song. Perfection. They also played a song that hasn't even been recorded yet asking us to please not record it (lol) and I gotta say it was a really great song, but then again they all were. Nevermind my screaming when they did the cover of Van Halens Hot for teacher. I love LOVE that song.
Of course my friends were like ''god, Nikki you're so predictable it hurts, it's not the music you like is it? It's the leather, cowboy boots and that Bon Jovi hair''. Not. It's the music I like. Though you know leather and big hair doesn't harm. Ha ha ha. While we're at it, I'm going to share a link, the boys have a chance to play with Kiss and it can only happen with enough votes, so if you'd be so kind, can you please vote for them? Thank you.
http://www.TheKISSKruise.com/Soundcheck
Now. Of course there was a reason I was there on a Thursday not Saturday when the big finale with amazing water and light show and fireworks is. Nikki is only loyal like this to one band. That she saw play about a million times too. Ha! My boys Šank rock were playing and as per usual I was in the front row losing my mind, did I mention my voice is a bit shot today? Or that I seem to entertain the security with my screaming and crying and singing along? It's a blessing and a curse to know the lyrics to basically all of the songs ever written. Well songs that matter to me anyways.
I already mentioned that the first time seeing them I was less then a year old, sleeping through the entire show, actually I've been told that I somehow managed to sleep through a lot of very loud rock shows when I was a kid. Suppose nobody could see it coming, my current obsession with rock musicians I mean. No wait, not an obsession, dedication.
My boys are the crowds absolute favorites, you can tell, the ''teachers pet'' or however you call it. This festival has been going on for the past 54 years, first time they played on stage was in 1992 (they were the ones that brought rock music to the festival in the first place) and they've pretty much played it each year, excluding a few occasions when they split up for a while. Have I mentioned lately how damn happy I am that they are back together? My god my life would be miserable without having the chance every now and then to sing along to my favorite local band.
Don't doubt that I have that entire preformance from 1992 on my external hard drive (ripped from an actual VHS tape) and don't doubt I've seen it about one hundred fucking times. Yup. It's perfect I swear. Leather and long hair? I die a little each time I watch it.
Of course the crowds favorites shows when everyone knows every word to every song and howls it along. My hair always goes up when I hear hundreds of people screaming the lyrics back to the singer. One of my favorite moments always. When the singer sings one line then lets the crowd carry on…that's just amazing. Actually, wait, this shows favorite moment was another one. A moment in which they finally after 26 years got a bra thrown on stage again. As well as some male underwear (not that they got nearly as much excitment as that bra did, which by the way is already in a special place) with someone in the crowd yelling ''I swear they're clean''.
Who's got the best party, who's got the company of real rockers, who's making us fly like eagles and live in a fairytale? My guys do of course. I'd say they played all my favorites last night but honestly, there aint a song they put out that I wouldn't LOVE. Like their song says ''there's no happiness without rock n roll'' and that's true, I'd be damn miserable without it too. Come to think of it, in the last eleven or twelve months I saw them play three times, once actually paying for a hotel in another town in my own country. Guys, if that aint dedication then I don't know what is.
Speaking of screaming and ''losing it'', if there's one thing you don't want, then you DON'T want to be next to me at their shows. Ask my family and friends. They hate it. Hah. screaming, howling the lyrics, headbanging…you know the works and I suppose I won't even mention what happens when the guitarist plays his famous solo. No really, I'm fine. Just a bit dead. He's out of this world.
Just the other day mother asked me if I'm on a mission to turn as many people as I can into fans. Well…hah. The more the merrier? I might have…uh ''infected'' a couple of people with them so far? But really, they should thank me. All I did was open their world to a completly new and unknown music.
Now before I wrap this up and go to bed, literally I went to bed at four am and got up at eight. Errands wait for no one and I am pretty sure that I'm only alive right now because of one too many cups of coffee I drank to get me through the day. Last year around the same time, in August I saw them play on a charity concert and a day after another one of my favorites, as a solo act, the band he used to be in broke up back in 93', I wrote this in the post last August…
''Sokoli played their last show in 1993 somewhere in Austria where a local reporter said that they as a band are too big for such a small country. Completly true. We have so much talent in this country and they have little to no chance in making it to the big times.''
Why am I telling you this? Tomorrow, on the finale of the festival, same band Sokoli, is playing their first (only?) reunion show. And though I won't actually be there I am excited about it. A rather big deal for our music scene.
Alright then, I'm exhausted, coffee is wearing off so I think I'm gonna go crash, meaning fall into bed face first and not move a muscle untill morning. Hah. Good night guys, have a great weekend.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment