Monday, April 2, 2018

Since I don't have you

You know I have a serious problem of seriously crushing on Duff McKagan? Like, when he was on stage in Vienna singing Attitude I probaby died a little and came back no joke. But then again I have a serious problem with this entire band. Have you ever seen or heard a better band? The voice, the guitars, bass players face. Lord have mercy.
Have you seen that thing Duff does with his hair though? That thing! If he'd do that to me on a meet and greet I'd be done for, dead and done at his feet…this thing…
Lord have mercy. Alright since it seems that today I'm in full GN'R fan girl mode, (when am I not?) below is something I wrote a long time ago but never posted, simply because I didn't have the vinyl to go with, but now by some insane luck and amazing boyfriend I do have it and so help me god if there wasn't the fear of damaging it I'd literally sleep with it under my pillow. I did mention fangirls are crazy didn't I?
I was obsessing over this record for so long I don't even know how many hours I spent stalking it online. Something's missing now when I stopped doing that, but then I realized there's still GN'R Lies, so hey another obsession to deal with. Hah.
The most dangerous band in the world they call it. I don't know why, to me they look like a bunch of kittens and if this is about booze, drugs, sex, can't we all agree that the Crue were far worse or do we have to count how many times Sixx died? (no offence baby, I still love you). Did you ever think about how ironic the Moscow peace festival from 89' really is? (I'd kill to be there btw) A concert with the goal to help fight alcoholism and drug abuse with young people and there you've got the Crue, Nikki himself said he doesn't remember shit because he was having a withdrawal crisis, then you got Skid, Sebastian said that he was completly smashed and running from his manager that wanted to kill him. Lord knows Ozzy wasn't innocent either. And all that in Moscow in 89'? What. The. Hell.
90's were wild though, I mean GN'R took no shit in the 90's did they? I mean they dropped Use your Illusion I and II same time as Nirvana put out Nevermind, not giving a damn, millions spent for music videos, Axe being a huge diva, causing trouble and even a riot and let's not even begin with Slash vacationing at the Four Seasons with a mountain lion. A damn mountain lion! Like how do you even…what has to go through one's head, jesus christ, and where did he get it?
So The Spaghetti Incident? was released in 1993, as the bands 5th studio album. The only studio album to feature rhythm guitarist Gilby Clarke and the last album to feature Slash, Duff and Matt Sorum. I don't care much about Matt we all know that there's only one drummer *coughStevencough* fit for this gig and I will fight anyone that disagrees here. But Slash and Duff leaving that was a catastrophe.
You know what's so funny actually? That the hype around this album was huge, yet people were disappointed and back in 1993 records stores literally couldn't get rid of them and today it's considered the ''holy grail'' it goes for insane ammounts of money online. Isn't it funny how the world works?
Now I agree, this album doesn't come near Appetite or Use your Illusion, but hell I love covers and I love how these are made. Since I don't have you is totally my song, I get goose bumps all over each time it's on the radio, and I think I made it clear above just how much I fancy Duff's version of attitude.
Slash said that this record was to alleviate pressure of the Illusion albums, aparently while recording longer tunes such as Civil War and Estranged they played around by covering punk rock songs. This is just like Sweet child of mine. Did you know that the famous intro that probably everyone on this planet knows was just Slash fucking around because he was bored? That's like insane. What kind of a genuis is he? My god.
And the name! So aparently the name comes from Steve hiding his cocaine in the fridge calling it ''spaghetti'' so people wouldn't know. And when the band was sued by Steven him blaming them for his addiction (I mean the band sure didn't help him but was this really nessesary?) the judge asked Duff if he can tell them about the ''spaghetti incident''. I can just about imagine Duff starting to crack up in that judges face.
I heard a different story though, far more disgusting and that was that it was actually a bet, Between Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx as in how long can they go without showering and still get groupies to sleep with them, aparently at some point one of them got sick just smelling them and threw up on them, and what she threw up were spaghetti and that was supposed to be super funny to Axl so he named an album after it, though unlikely I got to say I laughed out loud reading that. It would so be the ''terror twins'' to do something as idiotic.
I guess you know what the real issue with this album is? An unadvertised and hidden (starting at 2:17 in "I Don't Care About You") song by Charles Manson titled ''Look at your game, girl''. It caused a storm safe to say with law-enforcement and victims-rights groups expressing outrage over the damn song. Axl said it's just a hidden bonus track and that they're not giving any credit to Manson while Slash said it was naiive and innocent black humor. Some humor if you ask me. But then again looking at Marilyn Manson who named himself after him…I mean… I think people didn't get what Axe tried to say though, he wore a shirt with Manson's face in my opinion to make a statement, everyone expected him to becasue everyone just assumed he's the bad guy and bat shit crazy when in reality he's far from it. Of course the song was removed from later pressings and the thing was put to rest. Kinda.
So many people hate this album, so many ''die hard'' fans can't stand the thought of it, but you know what I the completly obsessed die hard fan think? That it's awesome, that it shows one of their really amazing works and that it's just pure and massive punk rock tribute to other amazing bands but totally renewed and delievered in a completly new light.
You tell em' babe. To end this post I'll copy a quote by the Geffen records about it:
''So think of The Spaghetti Incident? As the equivalent of Michael Jordan playing a pickup ball game. It doesn’t count in the standings; it’s just raw talent kicking back and cutting loose. (Geffen)''
There you go, and that's all I've got to say today. Enjoy your Easter guys, spend it with people you love or like me, burried under tons of university work, trying not to stress cry every ten minutes. Hah. I hate you statistics, I hate you SO much.
P.S. I told the proffesor that us artist just don't do math like, ''do you think Michelangelo did math?'' and he brings me a book in which there were Michelangelo's sketches with actual math on them for the Sistine chappel. God damn it. This fight isn't over yet mister, you won a battle but not the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment