Monday, November 28, 2016

White

If Monday was a person, I'd gladly punch it in the face. Really. A religious friend of mine once told me that God gave us mondays to punish us for what we do on the weekends. I can't say that I don't agree. I would gladly say ''nope'' this morning. Roll over in bed and sleep. It would be nice. Nicer then the day I had, I've been called insane again today. Different reasons. Biggest one? It's crazy. Someone asked me what I ''crave'' in life and everyone around me went on a rant how they want traveling, crazy can't breathe without you kinda love, romance, so on and so on and then the guy asks me and I replied ''I don't know stability would be nice, both mental and financial, I want a job that doesn't kill me, I want to live in a non stressful environment'' and yet I'm the crazy one? See this is why I don't get along with ''children''. Aparently they don't know yet what kinda world they live in. I do. Traveling is nice and I wish I had money and time for it. And love is an amazing feeling but honestly...stability means more to me. If that makes me crazy...then so be it. I truly do live in a world full of people that don't understand me. Or is it the other way around? Maybe I don't understand other people? What's that line that Panic! at the disco used to title their fourth album? ''Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die'' I believe. That's how I feel. I honestly prefer being alone with my art and my vinyl away from everyone and everything. Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing out on ''real life'' out there. But then again...I don't think I am. I mean don't we all see living differently? Some people may think they ''live'' when they're hopping from party to party. Some people see living as fulfilling their dreams, some people see living in starting a family. We have different dreams and desires so why should our lives be the same? Seems crazy when you think about it doesn't it?
It's not even five pm yet, dark outside, I'm home alone, colored lights turned on and this album playing...life could be worse...
I hear this album is worth quite some money. Not mine though, it's not in the best condition. The cover that is, pretty banged up and the pictures that came with it are missing but the records play perfect despite the scrapes and hairlines so that's all that really matters, I don't plan on selling it anyway. I didn't even like it first time I put it in. I had to give it a second chance to properly fall in love with it. There's some fillers on it, that I still don't like to this day and I would always pick the Stones over the Beatles but I actually learned to love this album. Come on, it's the Beatles after all. So this album came out in 1968, this is my mother's copy, she had to buy it sometime in the 80's and I bet she had those missing pictures taped to her wall despite giving me a hard time for all my posters on the walls. Hey excuse me, I moved up now, my posters are framed or are concert pictures I took myself. It's basically art. Okay back to the album, it's actually selftitled album but everyone just calls it the ''white album''. I wonder where that came from. Hah. Let's be honest for a second, we all know that Bob Dylan is the most important figure in Rock n roll and the Rolling Stones are the embodiment of a rock and roll band, the Beatles are still a perfect result of everything Rock n roll really is. And this record is actually pretty awesome despite everything. Back in the USSR gives this parody vibe which quite honestly I think it's pretty cool. The songs are not in harmony at all, in fact they're in a conflict. The contrast is actually quite mind blowing. People complain, saying there's too much filler and that the album should just be a single instead of double. I'd agree once but today, I don't. It's a glorious and flawed mess and that's part of it why it's good. Messes and mistakes make us grow. I think those who love this album actually love it not because every song is a masterpiece but because even the little mistakes have their own place. Parts of it sound a little bit like solo artists, even the pictures inside...have you noticed how much more of a unit they used to be, same hairstyles, same clothes...and here you see that change for the first time. They sound different here, it's almost like you're just getting to know them. Not to mention the tension between the band was more then obvious at that point. The White album literally marks the final phase of their career since after they broke of into individual musicians. Not so sure if I should call that a catastrophy, since I absolutely adore John Lennon's solo work. Nothing and no one will ever top Imagine, best song ever written and who knows with the group intact it might not even exist. Thing is such a long mix of songs contains so many different musical genres, like folk and country and classical, they put a lot of effort in returning back to their basic rock and blues sound which they had in their earlier years and such diversity on a single album is pretty much amazing which is also the reason why there were mixed emotions about it. I think it's amazing, die hard fans probably didn't agree back then. Not that that matters since last time I checked this album sold really well since they sold over 10 million copies worldwide. I read an article once that his album was mostly written with an acoustic guitar in India and then later recorded in England which is where all the conflicts in the band really began. Aparently this was the first record where wives and girlfriends would attend, most notably, Yoko Ono. No wonder there was so much tension between McCartney and Lennon I never even met her yet I don't like her, this led to them recording in separate studios which quite honestly I hate. Band members that don't get along...it sucks. Alright, point here is the album was never received best, specially by the critics I believe the New York Times actually said it's boring beyond belief, but it's grown since then if that's possible, many people now call it their best work and with prices that come up to thousands of euros online that's not too bad either. To me personaly it's not their best, come on have you heard Sgt Pepper's? Because that one is amazing but White still holds some of their best works, ''Happiness is a warm gun'' or ''While my guitar gently weeps''. Give it a shot, let it grow on you, you might be surprised like I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment