Monday, May 18, 2020

Don't make me crop you.

It took me about eight months to get to the point where I'm holding my first (after a damn long time) batch of printed photos. Why is this a big deal when my entire room is taped with photos? Because these are film photography, not digital. My family calls me odd all the time. I'm into old cars, old music, old men, old photography. I don't know what it is but I find old school everything, more authentic. Sometimes things need to be simple, without the added gears, gadgets and drama. 

I used film cameras when I was younger (yes, kids I am in fact that old, go back to playing in your wifi sandbox and leave grandma alone), I had a Pentax ME, dad's old Zenith, a bunch of low cost toys that did horrific pictures but they were toys after all and a borrowed professional camera. There's literally a huge HUGE box with thousands of prints somewhere in my house. Thing is these used to be cheap. Like a few cents worth per print and development, and these days they cost pretty much your soul and first born child. Madness. 

It's not that I lost interest, my old Zenith which was the last camera I used, got into a little accident with salt water (seriously I tell you all the time I live with animals), though I believe it's still in working condition, it would just have to be tested, but it's currently decoration, and when I stopped using that one, digital cameras just came on the market and the family bought what was considered very modern Canon at the time. Not a DSLR though, just a compact zoom camera. Wasn't bad, we still got it today. I guess looking at it that way, there's a ''couple'' cameras in our house. From old film ones that look pretty on the shelf to one that could pay for a car. But honestly, I think it's no secret that now upon seeing these pics, this one might be my absolute favourite one. 

Alright so, I'm sharing a few of my favourite pictures below (excuse the quality, taken with a phone, if I ever get my scanner working again I promise to upload a better version), taken with the Pentax ME, 50mm lens, on Fomapan / profi line action black and white film. People say this camera may be a bit too basic but that is exactly what I love about it. Plus it has a huge finder, a great shutter ready indicator and you can use it with a standard cable release. All in all it's great camera for it's build and age. There are many out there that are better but I'd say that's a matter of taste. I know I wouldn't trade this one for anything else similar. And you know what? The shutter sound? Oh my god! I love it so much. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment