Friday, August 16, 2019

Love ALWAYS wins

I took a little stroll down memory lane and read the very first entry posted here. It's stupid optimistic and I hate it but that's beside the point. Here let me share a small part of it…

''This is a completely new beginning for me because I decided to keep it simple and write about things I love, things that make me happiest. I decided to share my art, my photography, my love for music, traveling, fast cars, Harley's, books, comics, movies, tv shows, shoes, vinyl, Jack Daniels, animals, the country side and all things strange and unusual that don't fit in the society's standards of ''beauty'' and ''normality''. I just want this to be a positive space, I had enough negativity in my life and I don't need to make it worse, by writing about it and dwelling on it. This is a happy place. Containing all the things I love most.''

Oh my damn, have I managed to stray far from that or what. Music okay that's a constant on this blog. Or well pretty much the only thing I do write about. But happy place? Woah. Then again how could I preach on happy? I don't know the first thing about happiness. But one thing that is certain is that I need a change. Don't get me wrong I love writing about music, I love music above all else. Music IS my happy place. But sometimes the posts just seem forced and I find myself thinking how I'd love to write I don't know, a piece about how I do my hair or daily makeup, which is disgustingly girly and doesn't fit with my broody dark ''I hate life'' vibe at all but I'd still like to do it. You know what I mean? 

Going through that list above about all the things I wanted to share before, I have a super strong feeling you'd not want me to sit here and sigh over how damn attractive I think Dean Winchester is, how I feel he's pretty much the reason for global warming because DAMN that smile and let's not even start with how after 14 seasons Supernatural is my pretty much my entire life and I feel it's not just the show ending but also my life. What did I even do before Supernatural? What will I do after Supernatural? My life is over I tell you. 

So to avoid all that, and more, I watch way too many tv shows, and to also avoid ranting about how nobody should even breathe my way today (Metallica is once again less than 300 km away and I'm stuck at home, 6th time in a row) I decided to try and write up a book review. 

I have hundreds of books at home, used to have more time and I loved reading, guess that kinda came to a halt when life happened. Don't get me wrong, I still love to read, fantasy and romance, my favourite combination, it's just getting harder and harder to find the time and to even get books. I admit I have a peculiar taste and the things I like are not as easily purchased here. Never mind the tax on books in this country, it's crazy. No wonder people are stupid if they never bother to tackle something thicker than yellow pages of a gossip rag writing about the Kardashians. Sigh. 

Let's make one thing clear before we get into it. My fave author always was, always will be Hemingway. But that aside I actually like reading cute, sappy, easy material, one that feels relaxing as opposed to making me think far too much. I'm not a fan of ''difficult'' books if you know what I mean. Like ''War and peace'' great literary piece but can you just kill me on the spot? 

So here's a review on this fluffy cuteness I read just last month. 


Love, Simon / Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
Young Adult, Romance, Drama, LGBT, Coming Of Age        )

I don't say ''don't judge a book by it's cover'' but rather ''don't judge a book by it's movie''. Every damn book is turned into movies these days and you know what? It usually ruins the story. Like Fallen. Oh my god! SUCH a great book and such a terrible movie. But this one was different. Yes I saw ''Love Simon'' the movie first, shallow me, got it because Nick Robinson plays the lead. Yes yes I know shut up. But I ended up really liking the movie so I had to get the book as well. 

It's a story that talks about issues and questions important to me. I always was a very passionate supporter of the LGBT rights and nothing ever saddens me more than listening to a gay boy or girl talk about their childhood, being alone and scared and wondering if they are normal or worse praying to be normal. That's just horrific, and like Simon says ''why is straight the deafult'' or why is ''coming out gay'' such a big deal? Why don't straight people come out as straight and parents cry and make a fuss out of it. Who told straight people that they are normal in the first place?

There are many things I just can't seem to understand, and especially hatred. Who gave anyone the god given right to tell someone who to love, how to live, what choices to make? Can we all just agree that people just love a person for who they are not for their genitalia? Can we just celebrate love in it's true, pure, beautiful form and forget the ''standards'' and whats ''normal''? Can we for fuck sakes just love instead of hate? 

''Love, Simon'' or as the original title goes ''Simon vs. the homo sapiens agenda'' by Becky Albertalli is a story about a 16 yearold Simon Spier, who says he's ''totally normal, just like you, only he has a huge secret''. He's gay. See the whole thing starts when Simon reads an anonymous tumblr post from a schoolmate, signed with ''Blue'' and it's a confession. ''Confession'' like it's a crime. Like being gay is a crime. Ugh. So this Blue leaves his email addess under the post to which Simon responds. 

You follow them through the mailing, flirting, through a safe space they find in each other, away from the hateful world around them. And though they don't reveal things about themselves that could tell the other who they are, they touch very personal topics and obviously fall for each other that way. It's like, hold my heart before it jumps out because of the whole, cute, awkward, teenage love. 

Problem occurs when a classmate Martin gets a hold of those emails and threathens to leak them online unless Simon hooks him up with his best friend Abby. Book and movie stray from each other a bit, in the movie Martin leaks the emails but in the book he just posts a nasty post outing Simon. I know it's fiction, I get it, but it made me feel nauseated. I mean, can you imagine, it's already a thing so many kids struggle with, and then even the choice on who to tell, and when to tell, if telling at all, is taken from you. That's just. It's disgusting that's what it is. Nobody has the right to do that. 

I like how social media actually plays a key part in this book. Not just the posting selfies and positive sides of it like most movies and books imply, but actually the dark side of it. Blackmail and hate speach and basically how one single stupid post can make your life hell. 

I also like the flow of the story, how it unfolds slowly and you find things out same time as Simon does, ''experiencing'' things first hand, trying to figure out who Blue is first hand just like he does, it's a ''guess who'' game through small clues left in the emails. 

And that ending! My god! I'm not giving it away, I'm here hoping to inspire you to pick it up and read it so I most definatelly won't ruin the ending for you, but let me just say, ''damn!''. Perfect ending to a perfect story. 

I like books that give you all the feels possible, and this one just feels like a hot cup of pumpkin spice latte on a late October walk with the leaves crunching under your feet. Or like those first rays of warm sun in late spring. Or just like the most beautiful summer sunset. All the feels. 

In short, if you know me, then you already know that a book containing dogs, Oreos and boys kissing is a safe bet to become one of my favourites. And if it happens to also be just a little bit sappy, then obviously I am done for. 

And the most important and the best thing about this book? It's simple, the message it passes on ''love is love and there shouldn't be a deafult''. 

No comments:

Post a Comment