Monday, August 12, 2019

True colours are beautiful, like a rainbow.


Do you ever feel as if you're in a spiral? Things spinning out of control, walls closing down on you and you're just completely helpless? Do you feel hopless because no matter how hard you try you just can't fix your life? I do. All the time. And the things that are out of my control are the things that I should get a grip on. Sometimes I just don't even know what to do anymore, really. Everything I touch seems to fall apart at the seams. It's like I've been cursed. 

Things just seem darker than they are because though I know I'm still blessed and things could be so much I mean SO much worse, there's things that are still missing. Family. Love. Understanding. Safety net. Having someone to lean on when life gets too hard. Alone is good, but lonely is hell. And not just lonely in the usual sense of the word but lonely in the, why the fuck am I so different and can't connect to ''normal'' people kinda lonely. That's just…a nightmare. I feel alien and alone and isolated. And to be fair the place I live isn't helping much, I know I sound arrogant saying this but the stupidity and hatred people radiate here is just too much for me. Yes I do consider myself superior to them. 

Maybe there's a kind of lonliness where you just know you're everyone's second, third, last fucking choice. They got other things going on in their lives and you just don't matter. I guess that's the worst kinda lonely. When you know people you care about…well they only care about you when they got nobody else. Maybe that kinda loneliness hurts the most.

I guess it doesn't help that the saddest music I own is playing on vinyl right now and that my iPod  / iTunes (shut up I'm old school) only has ''sad playlist'' on replay these days. Seems like people want to have their hearts broken even more so they listen to sad music…I know I do anyways.

Let's see how happier music feels. ''Girl power'' and all that. I actually don't own many records with female singers. I don't know why, but there are very few women whos' voices I actually like. Which also means I don't have plenty records with female voices. I love Blondie, Cher, Joan Jett and Pat Benatar and that's pretty much it. 

I really like this one though, mostly because of as cliche as it is Girls just wanna have fun and also Time after time. It's one of my favourite songs I think. It's probably the lyrics. Sometimes I don't know I just like em as sappy as possible.





Did you know that ''She's so unusual'' is actually one of the most successful pop debuts ever? And given that they have Madonna and MJ that's saying something. It's also saying something that I like it. Pop. What's going on with me? I've been having a lot of ''guilty pleasures'' these days. So many pop songs. Sigh. I keep saying I'm broken and maybe this is a clear sign of it. Don't worry, Motley Crue is STILL my laptop wallpaper for now. 

So the album. It had not one but four top five hit songs and if that aint amazing than I don't know what is. Side one first song though is a cover by The Brains ''Money changes everything'' from 1978 and goes straight into ''Girls just wanna have fun''. Don't we really? What do girls want? Boys and money? Bitch please, girls only want concert tickets, to pet all the cats and dogs and to eat anything they want without gaining weight. Am I right ladies? The song though is super fun because honestly yeah. Fun. Something everyone is probably lacking in their lives. Most days I can literally say ''fun. What's that?''

Track list goes on with Prince's cover of ''When you were mine''. Which is great but if you ask me it will always be better in his version. Come on! It's Prince after all. And then ''Time after time''. Hell I really love that song. Gotta be one of the best if not the best pop ballad of the 80's. It's not a masterpiece like the River is but I don't know what it is, maybe the lyrics or the melody which both feel as if they came straight from the heart. I can literally close my eyes and see an entire romantic movie scene playing in my head while that song plays.

''If you're lost, you can look and you will find me, time after time. If you fall, I will catch you, I will be waiting, time after time.''

Sigh. Don't we all want someone saying something like that to us? Someone to catch us, someone to be there, someone that's there no matter what? Maybe that's the appeal I see in the song. It's talking about everything I wish I had. Maybe. While we're at it, the song deserved a win not just a nomination for Grammy. Just saying.

Moving on, side two starts with ''She bop'' which was ''controversial''? because it's supposed to talk about female masturbation. Lol so like men do it all the time and joke about it but god forbid women doing the same. Get over it people. Women do it too. Just look at Blondie ''when I think about you I touch myself''. Which by the way is also one of my favourite songs. Mind in the gutter what can I say.
The song still reached number 3 on the charts and I would pay good money to see mortified faces of uptight people who loved this song before they found out what the lyrics they were screaming along to actually mean. Hell, a view Visa can't buy you.

Next song ''All through the night'' was written by Jules Shear and it's one of the four top five songs. And it's actually a great combo of Cyndi's voice and this synth and electronic rhythm. After that there's also ''Witness'' written by an ex band member of Blue Angel which used to be a band she was in. Anyways ''Witness'' was written by John Turi, great song, Followed by ''I'll kiss you'' which to me is Laupers ''Blaze of glory'', not her best moment if you ask me. That song just rubs me the wrong way. Not in a positive way as She bop might but in a ''my god you're annoying'' kinda way.

And the album closes with ''He's so unusual'' now what I find unusual is that the song is titled ''he'' while the album is titled ''she''. Funny. The song has a couple of sound effects like old record crackling or a scratch or whatever you want to call it, enough to make me roll my eyes thinking here we go again, another deep scrape. Unfortunally it happens more than I'd want it to. I got 90% of my music from my parents and they were both animals, so their vinyl is all scraped, some bad some okay but hell it drives me mad. You won't even see a speck of dust on ANY of my records. Like, imagine a scrape on my GN'R, The Boss, Crue, Skid, Leppard or some shit like that, I think the world might actually stop spinning if that happened.

To conclude this rant. ''She's so unusual'' sold in over 6 million copies and won two Grammy Awards, got a shit ton of critique but hell more than 30 years later it's still a bitching album. I only hate that it seemed to be the only huge succsses for Cyndi. She never came back with a second, better album like so many other bands did. Shame. I think it could be great.

Alright, guys, give your ears a break and listen to some cheesy pop for a change. I promise, it's not all bad. Cheers. Enjoy the week. 

P.S. If you do actually give pop a chance then check out Louis Tomlinson's (yes I know ex One Direction) new song ''Two of us''. Been on replay here all week. It's a beautiful song. Really tugs on all your heart strings and if it doesn't, well then you just don't have a heart at all. Great job Louis, I'm sure your mom IS proud of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment