Monday, October 23, 2017

In the still of the night.

It just occured to me that I have to change the age in my profile. I can't say I'm all too excited about turning 25. I remember my plans from the past and get all frustrated when I realize what I wanted to do, where I wanted to be at 25 and seeing that not one of those plans came true. I mean that's what plans are for aren't they? To fall apart. Not that it's too late to make those things happen now, only maybe harder.
Not like birthday is the only reminder. Those of you that use Facebook, you know how sometimes there's that ''we care about your memories that you share here so maybe you'd like to be reminded...'' and then that ''2 years ago'' or whatever else. I had up to 8 years ago I think, anyways those are sometimes hard, or just annoying. Not all of the past is pretty. It makes me want to delete half of my facebook to be fair. I don't even know where I'm going with this. It's been a long couple of weeks, a lot of new, a lot of firsts, a lot of change. Some great some not so great. I still stand behind what I said that change is good but maybe at the moment I'm not the biggest fan of everything changing in my life.
Alright, another monday, I hate mondays lord knows I do, so instead of dwelling on it I'll put on a record and tell you some stuff about it...
I don't even remember when this romance started. I always liked Whitesnake, never particulary ''Guns N' Roses'' crazy about them but always loved them. Maybe it started when I first heard ''Is this love'', yes, I have a thing about rock ballads. Did you ever really listen to Cinderella's You don't know what you've got till it's gone? That raspy voice? It's so beautiful. Or GN'R's Don't cry? November rain? I mean I like my music loud but cmon, the ballads! Beautiful.
Anyways back to the point, did you know that this album is on the Rolling Stone's list of 50 greatest hair metal albums of all time? It seems completly insane to me, because to me, hair metal is Poison and Warrant and Cinderella *at the start, later on not so much, but we've been over that*. I guess despite the hair I never really thought of them as ''hair metal''. But I suppose it makes sense, this album is full on Bon Jovi, hah, the power ballads, the clothing change...you know the works. Real damn hot to be fair. Did you also know that the hit song of this record ''Here I go again'' is actually a re-make of their own song from the 1982 titled Saints and sinners? I mean can you imagine the song we know today, Here I go again, titled Saints and sinners? Seems so odd.
A friend once told me that Whitesnake name comes from, David's, you know...thingy? I mean does anyone know if that's true...or? I'd love to know. Hah.
So the European version of this album is actually a re-release of their American album. Small diffences but enough for a fan to notice. The track order for example, American version has ''Still of the night'' as an opening track which kinda makes the record flow better if you ask me. I think Still of the night is one of their best songs no matter what was released prior or later on. People are calling it a Led Zepp rip off, which is a debate I am not willing to go in to. American release also has two more songs *those bastards*, ''Looking for love'' being one, and ''You're gonna break my heart again'' being the second one. One an amazing power ballad and one a hard rocker, and I wish I had them both, hah.
People are saying that Coverdale was in a rut after the quick and huge success he had with Deep Purple. I mean I don't think Whitesnake got the attention it could from the get go, after they started out, they've spent what ten years in rather small venues all over Europe, things changed for them in 84 when Slide it in was released and American audience started to notice them. Which is why Coverdale got John Sykes *he used to work with Thin Lizzy for a short ammount of time* for the next album.
1987 or just ''Whitesnake'' in the States was and still is to this day Whitesnakes best selling album. It sold in about 8 million copies in the USA and the sales helped boosting the sales of Slide it in as well to double platinum.
In the American version I think ''Still of the night'' is one of the best openers, it's still one of the bands classics. The Led Zeppelin STYLE *not a rip off but a style, in a way Avenged Sevenfold are inspired by Metallica* serves up countless of amazing riffs, and it's a fantastic example of Coverdale's amazing throaty voice. The voice that maybe these days doesn't sound as amazing anymore. I love the raspy voice but it looks like he's struggling a bit. Props for not giving up, saw them live last year and it was great never the less. Not to mention that riff, goose bumps worthy.
''I should have known better than to let you go alone it's times like these I can't make it on my own. Wasted days, and sleepless nights an' I can't wait to see you again. I find I spend my time waiting on your call how can I tell you, babe, my back's against the wall. I need you by my side to tell me it's alright 'cause I don't think I can take anymore.
Is this love that I'm feeling? Is this the love that I've been searching for? Is this love or am I dreaming? This must be love 'cause it's really got a hold on me, a hold on me.''
Deep sigh. The 80's produced so many love songs and the way the world worked back then even the rockers turned kinda soft and released a rock ballad or two or a hundred, I'm looking at you Bon Jovi. I love Is this love, it just ''bleeds'' longing and love and passion and desperation and I guess some days I can really relate. It really is a beautiful song.
You know how I said that Whitesnake were supposed to be hair metal? Maybe. But I mean honestly to me I get this bluesy vibe simmilar to some ZZ Top songs. Hello? Walking in the shadow of Blues? Or like Crying in the rain? Whitesnakes all time greatest heavy blues song. I think blues really is the essence the very core of the bands sound, but maybe through the years they lost that vibe and went more...commercial? Which is maybe why this album was SO succsessfull but also cost them a number of long time loyal fans.
Now the concert. Don't even get me started on how happy I was that for once. Just once a rock band comes to play in this Narnia of a country I call home. The attendance was as expected. People in this country just don't know what music is. To me, a Whitesnake show is not just a random rock show but a chance to see one of the most iconic rock bands of all times, a chance to listen to some of the greatest rock songs, songs that inspired people over the last decades. It's really not just a random 80's hair metal band, it's a band that made a generation of musicians, songwriters, artists, metalheads, music lovers, hell groupies even. I only had the chance to see them this one time, but hey, maybe another time?
The venue was packed, though being a small venue that probably wasn't too hard and the anticipation actually was growing while we waited for them to come on stage. But hey the opening band was really cool. They are called ''The Answer'' they're a Northern Irish hard rock and blues rock band from Northern Ireland and the UK. Really cool guys. They really warmed up the crowd well for the guys. When they left the roadies came on, moving some amps and guitars and working on their finishing touches. Have I mentioned how much I love watching them work? I'd love being a roadie for some huge band like the Stones. Hey, go big or go home right? The lights went out, purple lights came on, the song mix stopped and we knew it was time for the band to come on.
David comes on stage like he owns is and to be fair he does. It was a short set. 14 songs. I don't know, either musicians like GN'R and the Boss and Bon Jovi spoiled me or this is just way too short for me. But as I said David's voice...I'm happy I even got to see them. The first song was ''Bad boys'' and his voice was great, despite all the issues it was strong and clear, not ''good'' like playback good but ''good'' as in real good. The classic ''Slide it in'' was second, hah, such kinky title but still one of my favorite songs and honestly, it sounded as good as it did back in the day. Guys these elder citizens can still fucking rock and blow the venues roof off.
Slide it in was followed by Love ain't no stranger and it was the first time the crowd really reacted. You know, screaming, heavy metal devil horns anywhere you looked. It's always funny looking at the ''sea'' of people on the ground if you're on the seating area *sometimes I like the view* they were all in black with beers in their hands. Hah. This time I stayed dry at least. Usually I end up under a beer shower, not a good thing being shorter then most at a rock show here. Anyways it makes me laugh looking at rockers, metalheads all in black, reminds me of a friend of mine who at a Motley Crue concert where admitedly I was all in black too told me ''how is the band going to see you in a sea of black? Wear fucking yellow next time, get the guitarist to see you and in ten years tell the story of your happy marriage to the press, all because he saw you in the crowd''. Hah. Romantic aint it?
It went on with songs such as The deeper the love, Fool for your loving, Slow an' easy, Crying in the rain, Is this love *I was all hearts and rainbows and cupcakes then, David was like ''Slovenia, is this love?'' and I was done for* and of course, Give me all your love and Here I go again. Amazing guitar, bass and drum solos too. They saved the biggest hit for the encore and I completly lost it when they came back one more time to a huge roar of the crowd for that one song. Know which one? Still of the night of course. Of course I was screaming along every line and the entire venue stood up.
It really was a true rock n roll show any way you look at it. For us, the fans it was a really great night, anyone who didn't like it, well they had to be lost. The rest, who aren't sure yet, I'm sure they were convinced too. I saw a dad that brought his 10 or 11 yearold son, said it was his very first concert. I was rather jealous. There is only one ''first one'' and I don't even remember mine, I was at concerts since I was around 2 years old. I know which concerts but obviously I don't remember. I remember them from like 6 years and on. The kid really loved the show, his dad bought him a band shirt and it was really cool. Parenting done right and all that.
David has this special charisma, he's a showman, the crowd loves him, he's charming, he's not a vocalist he's the vocalist, holds the crowd in the palm of his hand, they do what he asks them to. It's amazing. He's amazing, not everyone from the same era kept that status as one of the best frontmen and as charismatic too. It was a great show, hot summer night, cool people around me, beer, rock music, it was great.
To wrap up this post, the album is amazing, get it, listen to it, love it, it's one of the best 80's rock, metal, hair metal has to offer, and if you get the chance to see them live then you really should do it. If you like them, or metal, or old rock, or hair bands, or you know great music, life, or just having a great time then yeah, you really should go and if you don't like any of those things, well, hell, then just stay at home and watch a couple of idiots chasing a ball on TV or something. And I? Well I'll go get me a couple more of their albums, I can't believe this is the only Whitesnake vinyl I own. Shame on me.
Enjoy your Monday guys, I know it's hell, I know we all hate them, but try making it bearable with some good tunes. And for those in us in Europe, The Walking dead returns tonight, let's hope it's less brutal then the last season premiere or the Supernatural premiere. The feels! Stay strong guys I'll see you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment