Saturday, August 5, 2023

I'll see you in my dreams.

It's been a few days huh? Since the concert I mean. The Boss in Vienna. I've been meaning to write a couple of words but life got in the way. As usual. Natural disaster after natural disaster. First it was massive storms, then it was a tornado, then it was an earthquake and now it's ended (hopefully because I'm not ready for locusts) with Biblical floodings. I don't know who hates us, well actually lots of people hate us lately, but the fury mother nature unleashed on us in the past couple of days…it's unseen. At this point, if any of my fellow citizens are reading, guys stay strong, we can get through this together. 

Now first things first, y'all know I love Vienna, it's my favourite place right after Italy and our seaside. It always feels like returning home when I'm there. Sorta. I know the city by heart, I love it, I love it's streets, I love it's vibe, the history, the culture. I love everything about it. And I love going to all the places I don't have at home, you guys know me, bookstores and Starbucks. Guys! They renovated Thalia book shop on Mariahilferstrasse and you know what?! It literally has a cafe inside, you can get coffee, a snack and read in peace! I think my brain exploded upon seeing that. Also, let me point out that I shouldn't be allowed unsupervised in a bookstore with my boyfriends credit card. Just saying. Also he shouldn't be as kind as he is saying ''buy as many as you want baby''. What did I do to deserve him? Also I did buy as many as I wanted…and would probably buy more but who's going to carry all that? Oh the boyfriend duh! That's why we have them to pay and carry bags, am I rite ladies? Lol just kidding, I know he's reading this, I'm sorry babe, you know I love you. 

Side note, extremely excited for the new Ali Hazelwood, though when will I get to read it? Who knows, as I keep saying, book buying and book reading are two completely different hobbies. Now lets get back to the Boss. This concert was sold out within minutes, and there were no tickets to buy anywhere, can you imagine? No scalpers to rob you of your money, shocking but also…so humbling in a way. I think everyone understands the scale of this show. The scale of the man. He's an amazing musician and there aint nobody like him out there. I'm not just saying because I'm quite literally obsessed with him but because it's the truth. There is just one ''THE BOSS''. I literally fought to get tickets, I bought them a minute after they were put on sale almost a year before the show and I think it was literally hunger games to get them, because we all feared it might be his last tour. It might be. It might not be. Rumors are spreading for both. I understand if he'd wanna quit touring and focus on things he loves like the Broadway or podcasts or books, but also I'd have a hard time accepting never seeing him live again. If this was my last show…that's a hard pill to swallow. The entire vibe of the show felt sorta final you know, a lot of talks about dark thematics, death, endings, sadness, with uplifting moments in between. And on the other hand on the last concert of the tour he said ''we'll be back'' so…who knows really besides the Boss?

First things first let me complain for a quick second, first time I saw him at this stadium,that was in 2012, the concert was 3 hours and 41 minutes long, like police came to shut down the power long. It was the ''Wrecking ball'' tour and my first time seeing him. Of course you never forget your firsts. It was an amazing experience and one of my favourite concerts as is. And also he did one of my fave songs then which is ''Waitin on a sunny day''. It's no secret though that while I love Vienna my favourite concerts are actually Italy and if Milano was on this tour I'd rather be there. Nothing beats Italian fan actions, temparament and just Italy in general. Oh! Guys you know I am obsessed with these cups you can now buy on stadiums right? Obsessed, and of course I had to get one here as well, even if water costs 8 euros, which is absurd and should be either holy water or Bosses sweat and tears to make it worth that price. Just saying. But like….look at it! Perfection.

The tickets! Expensive as fuck but so worth every cent, first row, almost down on the grass of the stadium. If you think I didn't cry over my tickets you are wrong. Thank you goes to a friend of mine who made sure I get the best tickets, who in turn as a gift got my tiny drawing of Bruce, which he absolutely loved. Made my whole day, week, month, maybe even year. I honestly am so grateful to have him, to know him, and to make someone who makes me so happy, SO happy in return, that means the world to me. Yes I want to be a paid artist but believe me guys, no money is better then genuine happiness you can give someone with your art.  

So this show was quite a bit shorter, about 2 hours and 30 minutes, he opened with ''No Surrender'' and closed with ''I'll see you in my dreams''. Patti was not present like she wasn't most of the tour unfortunally. And there was another ''first'' on this tour which is that most of it with slight deviations was identical. Meaning all shows the same in setlist. People complained about it but you know what? I actually like that because then I don't have to mope and complain how some people get a better setlist than I. Yes I am looking at you Guns n' Roses, two shows and I didn't get ''Don't cry''? Guess what? I am fucking crying over that. People also complained about the actual setlist because there were less big hits but a mix of everything. I honestly wouldn't even mind if all he sang was the last album and those are all covers. Just sayin. 

As you can imagine I completely fucking lost it three times, ''Letter to you'', ''Nightshift'' and ''The River''. Shrieking hysterically, amusing everyone around me because yes I was the youngest on my part of the stadium and probably the most excited. Like I may chuck my bra on stage type excited. I noticed less talking between songs too, I mean there was hardly a pause in between, he hardly took a deep breath to carry on with the next song after one ended. 

Here's the deal, in between, he takes time to give a little speech about his joining the band in the mid 60s and then 50 years later about the death of his friend George Theiss who was actually the person that hired Bruce as a guitarist, when he was still a teen. He talked about how final death is and that's what I meant with the somber atmosphere, it was quite…dark. To say the least. And it made me feel a bit unsettling. Like…this is final. Like he's talking about death because this is also the death of the band. Which means at the end, the last song, darkness, the cell phone lights, ''I'll see you in my dreams''? The waterworks came on. Like a whole bunch, like sleeves caked in black makeup waterworks. Last time this happened this bad, we were in Italy and Bon Jovi were singing ''Always''. I'm never getting over that one. 

I have a different complaint tho, not about the setlist but about merchandise prices, like, sweetie, honey, are you fucking insane?? What were those prices? 30 euro tote bag? 50 euro shirts? Which obviously means I had to get two. Am I also insane then? Probably but guys…look at my prized possesions…

I'm not going to spam you forever, I'll make this short. For once. If I don't this will turn into a Bruce blog at some point. Basically all you really need to know, this was an absolutely amazing show, and if you've never seen him live. You have too. Because there's musicians and then there's Bruce. And there's concerts and then there's Bruce. There's nothihng like him and nobody like him. Point is. I absolutely love him and I hope I can end this post with ''until next time, Bruce, thank you, I love you''. 


No comments:

Post a Comment