Monday, August 10, 2020

Watch out for the seas of hatred and sin or all us people forget what we've been.

You know how dominated the music scene is by American and British artists? How little credit bands from other countries get? And I've seen and met so many different bands from all over the world who were talented and in so many ways so much better than so many US and UK bands. Like say Scorpions? Amazing. And Rammstein? Holy shit! And how about Scandinavia? They have all the best bands. Like Volbeat, Nightwish, Amon Amarth, In flames, Europe, Opeth, Ghost, Apocalyptica, HIM, Lordi,…to name just a few. Finland per example is the best country for heavy metal and hard rock music, they play it on all commercial radios over there, while here I could burst out in tears when I hear Guns N' Roses on our radio stations. 

One of such in my opinion underrated bands are German Helloween. They're a power metal band from Hamburg. Founded in the 80's (1984) actually by members of Iron fist and Gentry. The original lineup released the ''Keeper of the Seven Keys'' together which made them the heavy metal band worth noticing and actually helped create the sub genre ''power metal'' which just didn't exist before. The singer left after unfortinally so the second part of Keeper is with a different singer. 

Story goes on simmilar as it does with Skid row. Skid were a massive band, no wonder because you just can't beat Bach vocals. That man. Shit. I get shivers just thinking about those screams in Monkey business or the emotional way he sings In a darkened room, but that's besides the point, first two Skid albums were amazing, smashing hits, then Bach left or was kicked out or whatever happened, it's unclear but that was a nail in the coffin because no albums that followed were as good. Same with Helloween. First two albums without Hansen the original singer, Pink bubbles go Ape and Chameleon were complete failures both commercially and critically, which in turn caused more tension with the band members and more lineup changes. 

See I don't get it. I get artistic difference and I get that people just can't get along but a band should be like a job. I mean it's great when musicians are best friends and they hang out together and stuff but if not…why not grit your teeth and get on with it? Look at the Stones, I mean Mick and Keith never liked eachother but that never affected the band one bit. They stayed together and made so much good music. Isn't it such a crying shame really? Skid Row could be such a massive band and they could make so much amazing music. Same as GN'R. I thank the lord each day they're back together…well sorta. I aint gonna be happy till I see Steven and Izzy as well. 

So you can imagine the buzz when Helloween announced in 2014 that two original members were rejoining the band. The ''Pumpkins united'' world tour ended up being the biggest tour in the band's history, spanning over 14 months and consisting of 69 shows, and also a live album plus DVD. 

I know it makes no sense to review part II before part I. But I don't actually have part I and I rather like this one…



I've read that both Keeper albums were actually supposed to be one double album, which makes it logical why part II feels like it's a continiuation of something. Carrying on something that was left of somewhere. I never actually listened to part I but this is actually a brilliant idea, to do two albums and connect them somehow. You know like SIXX AM did? The dammned and the blessed albums? Brilliant idea. 

This album has such amazing harmonies, fast mindblowing riffs, bitching bass and hair raising vocals. Okay so it may not be the same singer but let me tell you something, the album is just as great. 

Can we just talk about the cover for a second? Both albums have such great covers. I really love cover art that's not photography but painted art. Like old movie posters. Ever saw those? So great and so artistic. I guess the artist in me appreciates this so much more. I  mean everyone can take a picture, photoshop the hell out of it and slap it on the front page, but it takes a hell of a lot more effort to actually create a piece of art like these two covers are. And as well their other covers, I really like ''Better than raw'' it's oh my god amazing, ''The time of the oath'' which actually reminds of Keeper part I a lot and ''Metal jukebox''. Super creative and I'm getting them all at some point (when grown up, rich and famous lol) for the artistic value alone.  Some such covers are also Danger Danger self titled album and ''Screw it!'' which I also want both. Great band, great music, perfect covers. What did you expect really, boys with long blond hair in leather. I'm predictable. Lol. And super carried away as per usual.

Keeper of the seven keys Part II was the third studio album, released in 1988. It was received very well, and actually went gold in Germany (well that's not that much of a surprise). The two songs that probably everyone knows on this album are ''Dr. Stein'' and ''I want out''. First one has this long solo that's really kinda dark and kinda bluesy, which doesn't sound like anything really on this album also if you pay attention you'll hear the organ. ''I want out'' on the other hand was and still is the bands most famous song it has so many remakes as well, by Gamma Ray (which is funny considering that that's the very band founded by Kai Hansen after leaving Helloween. Mindboggling.) and also LORD and Sonata Arctica. 

Loudwire also named this album as number one on their ''top 25 power metal albums of all time'' that is a big deal if you ask me. You can also find it on ''the 10 essential power metal albums'' by Metal Hammer. That makes it significant for the power metal scene as I said. Maybe they're the Beatles to some modern power metal bands like Beast in black (amazing band, drop what you're doing and go listen). 

You can hear how polished the sound is on this album. Fresh. Enjoyable. Perfect. Yes it might sound a bit ''80's-ish'' but that doesn't change the clear harmonies between the guitars the excellent bass job or Kiske's incredible voice. Sometimes people say that albums that go on over 40 or 45 minutes get boring. This one is just under 55 minutes and let me tell you, it's not boring for a second. No filler songs no dull moment. Instead of complaining y'all should be happy to get a few extra minutes of a great album. An extra song or two. How perfect is that? 

I'm not going to rant forever, this isn't Guns N' Roses or Springsteen who I love a bit too much, but seriously, all that blond hair and tight clothes. Just too sexy. I'm shallow. I'd pick this up and listen to it due to their looks alone, never mind if they suck. Thankfully they don't, but you get the point. 

So, there's that. Excuse me while I go get some air and possibly melt outside. Super hot as per usual. Thank god actually, been raining for far too long. Started to feel like the Amazonia not Europe. Have a great week y'all, don't let the Muggles get you down. 


No comments:

Post a Comment