Friday, January 17, 2020

I love you, you filthy animals.


Do you guys have some of those songs that just transport you back to a certain place or time or a memory? And it's really vivid? Like you're right back there in that moment when you hear it. She asked while Air Supply's All out of love plays on her iTunes. Shut up, I love that song. A song by All time low came up ''Backseat serenade'' and even if they are one of my absolute fave bands, I haven't heard that song in a long while. So while it played, I was transformed right back to the first time I saw them.  ''Krieau Rocks festival'' Vienna Austria in 2013. Shit that's so long ago already…they played with Green Day. Just nine songs though, but still it was such a cool show. BTW boys, I am still upset that the last TWO FUCKING ALBUMS never got a proper EU tour. The fuck is that about? We miss you too…

So the song. The memory. Suddenly it felt like I'm back at that huge open air venue, I can almost smell the beer in the air and the warm summer night. I can hear the screaming, I can see Alex and Jack smiling, being huge dorks that they are. I can feel what I felt in that moment, that one moment when you know everything is okay. And that everything will be okay. And you're just…dare I say happy? Yes, happy. SO happy.


Seeing ATL for the first time was something special, I really went to the Green Day gig just to see ATL, honest to god, I remember also being covered in bruises because let me tell you, fan pit is not a place to be with crazy Green Day fans, but hell it was worth, every bruise and broken – lost voice. I can faintly remember basically touching Jacks hand before I probably floated away on a fucking cloud. Yes that ''crush'' is still going strong, but really, who wouldn't love Jack Barakat? Did I tell you about that story of a history lesson in first year of high school? Professor goes on and on and on about  the second world war and clearly notices I am NOT paying attention so she goes ''Nikki, what do you think about it?'' and flat out, I the idiot that I am, doodling Jacks name in my notebook I go ''Jack Barakat'' and she looks at me funny going ''what does this Mr. Barakat have to do with our topic?'' and I'm like ''probably nothing but I always think about him''. You can just imagine how much that helped with my ''popularity'' in general.

Either way, I saw All time low two more times after that, another solo concert in Vienna, which also had a meet and greet and if you think I lived through that one with Jack giving me a high five you are so wrong, I cried for good 30 minutes after. Crazy is crazy. And then the third time was in Milano Italy but also years ago. Sigh. Actually in honor of them doing something crazy on their social media accounts these days….(I swear the god boys if you don't stop with your cryptic bullshit)…I'll write a little review of my favourite All time low album, which is a CD, because I was never lucky enough to get any of their albums on vinyl. Living in the middle of nowhere will do that to you.






Future hearts is the sixth album that came out in April of 2015 and which I literally by mistake happened to stumble upon in our capital city while being on another either errand or concert and browsing through a media store when I had some time to kill. Aint that crazy? Also I was too happy to have it. First single off of this one was ''Something's gotta give'' and you guys? I loved it first moment I heard it and I still love it now. The video is so brilliant, I mean not ''November Rain by GN'R'' kinda brilliant but brilliant in it's own way. And the whole zombie thing…I mean shoot me now it's just too good. Censored on our MTV of course but still…and was I obsessed with zombie Jack? You can bet I was…


Future hearts debuted number 2 on the Billboard 200 and sold 75,000 copies in it's first week which made it the band's biggest selling and higest charting album. And you look at the number and it doesn't seem that big but really for a little band that isn't Bon Jovi big this are very good numbers. The critics weren't completely happy again as per usual. I did say several times that critics are assholes didn't I? Wait a second, in a way I'm a critic too aren't I? Concert and album reviews? Shit. Well if the shoe fit as I always say…what bothered the critics here was that the album wasn't ''cohesive'' enough. Like really? Really?? How about pointing out the great influences of other songwriters that also worked on songs for this album? Or the change of musical direction in general? God forbid right.

What I found so extremely creative was that every album contained a set of five collectible ''polaroid'' pictures, together 20 so there were different ones to collect. And I thought that was just such a nice touch to add, and of course the pictures are just awesome, just super silly, and cute, and fun.


You guys! When ''Kids in the dark'' came out…oh my god. I love that song so much, still today. It's such a great song. Literally my nails were painted with splattering paint for weeks, inspired by the song. The video was something completely different than what we were used to from them, the girl shielding herself from her parents arguing, doesn't that hit home I wonder. And there's a note thrown in her mail slot on the doors, I think it says ''The kids in the dark invite you to escape, find us at the old iron works''. She finds those kids in her pajamas and slippers, dark room and the only light is neon paint splattered all over those kids. There's a message there you know, no matter what kinda shit you're going through, no matter the hardships, the hell, you're never alone, there's always an escape, there's always other people that understand, people that are there to help you.  And that one moment in the video ''They left us alone, kids in the dark, to burn out forever or light up a spark'', the sparks! Alex! Too cool. And also, the metion of self harm with ''what a shame, what a shame, beautiful scars on critical veins'' and making it clear that there is help out there, that you're not alone and that you are strong enough to get over it in ''we'll never surrender, the kids in the dark''.  The song it self is just a perfect mix of ''dancy'' and punkish so you know Billie Joe wouldn't burst into tears if he caught you listening to it in public.

Missing you is another such song. And if you think I didn't cry the entire length of the video when it was released you are SO wrong. The song is beautiful as is but the video, in which the band shows their gratitude to their fans, the ''hustlers'' who had supported them for the begining. The video is set in London, Alex is wandering around the streets, looking amazing may I add. Boy! That style. Some scenes are with the other boys as well, and in between you see the band talking to the fans via Skype or whatever else. OH MY GOD. Can you like…omg. How do they breathe? I think I'd die on the spot. Die! The fans then got to tell the band how grateful they are for their music, well how grateful we are for their music, for all they do for us. Very emotional video indeed. The very same second the video starts and you hear that very first ''oh my god''…well you can't help but smile. It's really nice to see a band have such a close connection to their fans. And I won't even touch the lyrics, they are beautiful, hopefull, they made me feel better so many times in the past, ''don't lose your fight kid''. Yeah.

It's funny how cocky the sticker on the cover actually is. It says ''features your new favourite songs'' which you know…very ballsy. But super on point. It does in fact feature my favourite songs. They were then and they still are now. So safe to say they really backed that statement up. Another song I really loved is also Tidal Waves, my god it's a beautiful song, so mature, so serious in a way, so full of passion and emotion and well serious and mature is not something you usually would put down for All time low, especially with Jacks constant dick jokes (I still love you babe). It also features the ultimate punk dad Mr. Mark Hoppus himself and we all know I adore that dork.  The lyrics are real nice on this one as well, Alex has such a wonderfull voice, soothing one and on slower songs, ballad type songs, it just comes through so nicely and really, he is just SO underrated as an artist, as a singer, as a lyricist.  Another big musical guest whos influence is also obvious in the song is Joel Madden. Huge old Good Charlotte vibes there. It's kinda really cool and also kinda funny to have them both appear on the album, funny because you just know that bands like Blink and Charlotte are huge influence on the band and without them I am confident in saying there wouldn't be no All time low either and also really cool because hell, just look at how good the boys are doing, started out in Jacks basement and now they're here. ''Just give them ten more years and see what time can do for hopeless dreamers''. Shit. Respect boys. But then again, there was no way for you to go anywhere but up.

Other songs on this album are also Satellite, which is good but not something I'd allert the press about. There's also Dancing with a wolf which is a bit darker but also really nice. There's also Kicking & screaming, Runaways, Cinderblock garden, Don't you go, Bail me out (the one with Madden), The edge of tonight which makes me shiver all over when he sings ''You keep me alive, on the edge of tonight, chasing tomorrow with fire in my eyes, you're like a siren in the dark, you're like a beat playing in my heart, you keep me alive, on the edge of tonight''. Beautiful. Meaningful. And also another very precious memory. Last song is Old scars / future hearts. Very nice song to close the album to.

In general this is an amazing album, it's serious, it shows growth, it shows that the band is not just some random pop punk or emo or whatever else people call them band but actual amazing musicians that are capable of serious and meaningful topics, while still staying true to their roots and still have that true connection with their fans. This is why we love them. A bit less right now though with their cryptic social media bullshit. Seriously boys! Stop! I am not sane enough for decoding this crap.

Alright then here's to the band I love even when it drives me crazy, and to the band who is the reason that at least some of my art (drawings inspired by their lyrics) got some serious attention on tumblr. 4000 + notes and some 2000 + notes, no joke, fame at last. If you want to give a different but very good music a try then pick this one up, it really is amazing I promise.
So enjoy the weekend guys, I know I won't. A lot of work to catch up to. Ugh. Where are those weekends when I could just sleep 48 hours straight. Hell. Word of advice. Don't ever grow up.


No comments:

Post a Comment