Monday, December 9, 2019

Try to see it my way, do I have to keep on talking till I can't go on? While you see it your way, run the risk of knowing that our love may soon be gone. We can work it out.


It's been 39 years to the day yesterday when John Lennon was killed. He died on December 8th in 1980, he was just 40 years old. Shot down by that beast Mark Chapman who is still alive and in jail. I don't know exactly of the motive behind this murder, but I did watch a documentary once that this was a ''religious'' thing. As in Chapman aparently was upset because Lennon said in 1966 that the Beatles are more popular than Jesus. It was also said that Chapman was angered by the fact that Lennon would preach about love and peace and yet have millions on the bank account. Which is absolutely ridiculous but let's be honest here, Chapman is not exactly a sane person is he.

Couple of hours before killing him, Lennon actually signed Chapmans cover of ''Double Fantasy'' which despite it being a completely morbid and bizarre is now one of the most important rock n roll artefacts in history and after it being in the possesion of the same person for almost 20 years it was sold  to some collector for 1,5 million dollars making it probably the most expensive album on the planet. Well the story, evidence markers and Chapmans visible fingerprints are probably worth more than Lennons signature alone, given that you can actually buy autographed things by Lennon on eBay from anywhere near 2000 to 20 000 euros. Who wouldn't want that though, say a guitar signed by all four of the Beatles (even if we know which one is my favourite coughmccartneycough) specially because I know that having an autograph from all four of them and on a guitar even is super rare.

Why am I rambling about this? Lennons death was so pointless, and to this day I feel it's an incredibly tragic thing. John still had so much to give to the world, musically and as well as an activist. I think he was an incredibly positive person and the world would be a much nicer, better and happier place with more people like him around today. Though on the other hand, maybe this is better this way, I can only imagine just how saddened he would be watching the world and what it's turning into.

It's true I'm not the biggest Beatles fan, I really don't like the White album that everyone is praising to high heavens. I listen to ''Back in the USSR'' then turn it off, no joke, but I have in fact been hunting the white shirt with their logo, you know just plain white saying ''The Beatles'' in black, for a long time because I do actually like quite a lot of their songs. Help! per say is one of my fave albums I've got and also both the red and blue albums are rather good, though best thing to do is just throw on the ''Greatest hits'' and enjoy that one. I actually have two copies of that one, one near mint condition for collection value and one severely beaten up copy to listen to, cracks a bit but it's alright.

Alright you probably guessed that this is leading up to something. It's December, my abosolute favourite month of the year. Lol joke. I despise December. There is nothing worse than the fake hysteria, children hopped up on sugar and lies and people acting like January first is the end of the world so they gotta ''live it up'' while they can. Oh my god give me a break, life is crappy now and it will be crappy later. No need for false hope and partying ''like tomorrow is the end of the world''. All the hysteria about christmas lights?! What is that about? It's just lights? Never saw them before? I have wanna be Christmas lights in my room all year round. Big deal. And oh my god don't even get me started on these so called ''photo corners and hashtags'' like, I get businesses, simple, very inexpensive commercial everyone takes dumb selfies and posts them with a hashtag. But people! They are the worst. And not teenagers mind you but older people, like our parents ages. They are all insane. Taking selfies, pictures, live feeds on facebook, posting the entire concert as stories on IG. I mean the hell is going on with people? I get nervous rashes watching these idiots take a million selfies. For and fucking real who goes to a concert and spams up their news feeds with nothing but selfies? Okay we get it you went out of the house for a photo op. Great for you. Do people even care and enjoy things? Like do they do things because they want to / like to, or do they do it just to post on social media and brag about it? It really is that way, unless you have picture proof that you went somewhere / did something / eaten something it's like it never happened. I feel like we're all in some vicious circle or a digital prison where our own freedom is just an illusion. I feel blessed to be growing up in the 90's where my every move and later mistake wasn't documented and posted on FB or IG.

Now it's not all as bleak and disastrous, even if December is a month from hell. There is one positive thing about it. The stupid so called ''fairy land'' in this town has quite a few December concerts which are all free. Not always good music unfortunaly but I suppose you can find about two gigs per December to tolerate. Or at least one. Now I've seen one (first one – maybe also last one) this December last Saturday. I've seen these guys before and to be honest I believe they are the best Beatles cover band out there. They're called ''Help! A Beatles tribute'' and as a band they are quite amazing.  All four of them are great singers and seriously respect for playing in that cold, I was freezing just watching them. As a tribute band they are recognized as one of the best tribute bands out there which I think is incredible, specially if you take into consideration how many Beatles tribute and cover bands exist. If we believe the press, there's currently 6000 Beatles tribute bands. Wow.

Listening to these guys it's pretty obvious why they are in the tops. Very talented musicians, amazing voices, music, sound, hairstyles, clothes, it all fits down to the very movments on stage. And I'd say it's about as close to the original as one can get. We weren't all quite as lucky to see the actual Beatles when they were ''all the rage'' even if let's be honest I'd still go see the Stones in those times. Always been more attracted to the bad boys rather then the ''good school boy'' type vibe the Beatles were channelling. But Paul McCartney is on my ''to go see live'' wish list for the longest time now, I just wasn't quite as lucky to actually go yet. I mean you see old ticket prices 3, 4 or 5 dollars and you got all four for those prices! And today you pay 150 and up dollars just to see one of them. Crazy. I'm still upset by the way for missing out in Rome this summer. Paul was attending a wedding and I actually was at his hotel but then I had a train to catch so missed out on a photo op. I'd just die if I'd get a picture and autograph with THE Paul McCartney. Ugh. I guess it just wasn't meant to be like touching Bon Jovi wasn't meant to be in Milan. Damn it.

I'm so off point right now. Help! are such a good band, and they wouldn't even exist if someone wouldn't ask them once to play Beatles songs for a charity event. It was a one time thing and they realised they had far too much fun doing that to never do it again. Amazing. So Saturday night they spoiled us with all the best hits such as ''I want to hold your hand, She loves you, Can't buy me love, We can work it out, Yesterdays, Roll over Beethoven, Rock n roll music,…'' and others amongst which of course ''Twist and shout'' which I LOVE but also I'm sorry boys I will ALWAYS love it more when The Boss sings it. It was my favourite moment at his gig in Austria when the cops shut him down and he's like you know what fuck all y'all I'm gonna play for 30 more minutes and he did Twist and shout and the entire stadium sang and danced with him. It was a hair raising moment ( which you can take a look at overe here  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G2gkPcCNfg ).

They also played ''All you need is love, Back in the USSR'' and of course ''Let it be'' and ''Hey Jude'' which just happen to be my two favourite Beatles song. Especially Let it be. It's a line I wanted tattooed on me for the longest time, and now everyone seems to have it so I'm kinda over it but still I love the song so much ''When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be. And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be.'' Beautiful and it was preformed beautifully by these boys. (speaking of, any ''mother marys'' out there having a vinyl copy of Let it be going spare? Maybe we can do some business. Lol).




Well last time I saw these guys I had only the White album and the Help! album but this time I got ''a few'' more so I guess I'm doing alright. Either way, here are some highlights from the great show and below are the links if you wanna check out the boys.


http://helpabeatlestribute.com/

https://www.facebook.com/helpabeatlestribute/

https://www.instagram.com/helpabeatlestribute/

No comments:

Post a Comment