Monday, May 15, 2017

Just me and my old blue jeans.

Just to keep things interesting I decided to do something different today. Once again. You figured out by now that I love music right? And art, and art history and regular history. So when all that blends into one I'm probably the happiest person on the planet. Well that was a bit over the top, I never was the happiest person and I probably never will be but you get the general idea right?
Some saturday mornings I manage to get out of bed at a semi normal hour *cough ten am cough* and what's better on such morning then a little arts and culture and such? The source of my happiness this week was a new museum exhibition in our local ''museum of modern history''. I spend quite a lot of time there, they have this permanent exhibition called ''Living in Celje'' which is a tribute to our city, there's this chronological overview of the 20th century history of the city and the people. And my absolute favorite thing the actual street with tiny old shops on the second floor, reconstructed as they once were and you can walk through the street, looking at shop windows, a market and a middle class apartment.
All that aside there's a different exhibition this post is going to be about. A temporary one. They have plenty of those, out of which I basically saw all. This one is called ''Jeans generation'' popular culture of this town from jeans to cellphones. It's a variety of objects popular with basically everyone since the 50's and up to today. It's not just things though, it's also a story of what life was like here, what growing up was like here. And of course this relationship with the popculture and it's movments, and ties to what was going on in the world at the time.
This is what it says at the begining;
Dear visitor,
if you are wearing a piece of denim or if you carry a cell phone, then a tour of this exhibition will go beyond being a mere journey from the first pair of jeans to your mobile phone; rather, you will become a part of the show as you actively contribute to it and continiue the story of Celje's popular culture. In a way, you will be the show. As you will soon find, this is not only an exhibition about Celje's popular culture, but also an exhibition about you, your experiences, your music, your favorite piece of clothing, your favorite book and film, perhaps your first and maybe even the last app downloaded to your smartphone. This is an exhibition about the past and the present, and about a variety of topics intertwining and completing each other to create an all embracing story about the popular culture of Celje.
P.S.: Photos, selfies, use of social networks, commenting, likes etc. are allowed at this exhibition.
WI-FI IS AVAILABLE - BUT WE STILL ENCOURAGE YOU TO TALK TO EACH OTHER INSTEAD. ;)
That last one made me giggle. Hah. Now back to the point, I really loved it, not just because it's so me it made me feel like I should stand in a corner as part of the exhibition but also because it was amazing seeing all the old tickets for music festivals, some long gone but some that are still going on today which I'm now a part of as well. And it was also a nice memory of things we all miss, such as this really great club, it was called ''Kljub'' which is a brilliant name because not only it means ''club'' in our language but also because it's shortened of the word ''kljubovati'' which means to oppose or to defy. It was opened in 1965 for a short period of time my grandmother worked there as an event planner. Who would of thought? During the 80's and later it was transformed into this place of socializing and just a get away of a sorts for all kinds of creativity and different alternative cultures. It was unfortunally closed down in 2005. Tragic day that was I tell you...
I really enjoyed the exhibition, it's a perfect blend of the old and new, funny how some things come back and some never leave they just...adapt to modern times...here are some pictures, enjoy,...
P.S. Should I worry that the outfit on that second picture might as well be stolen from my own closet?
The exhibition is located in Museum of modern history in Celje, Slovenia and will be open until September 2017. If you're around come check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment